Deposit dispute-unauthorised alterations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit dispute-unauthorised alterations

My tenants have recently left a 12 month AST in England. Our tenancy agreement states no unauthorised alterations and they have erected a stair rail and curtain pole. The curtain pole was done really badly and has caused a lot of damage. They have also left a large composter in the garden which again breaches contract as our agreement states all possessions need to be removed. We've provided a quote from our handyman of £100 which I think is really reasonable to 'reinstate the property to its original state' and remove the composter. The tenants have become quite aggressive and are suddenly mentioning problems they never raised in the tenancy (i.e. a drawer being cracked and cutting them) and they are saying they want proof that we are actually getting the work done. Do we legally have to do this or is the quote enough if they want to use the dispute service where the deposit is lodged? I ask because we may keep the handrail. Many Thanks in advance

There is no need to have works done, if a worktop was damaged and deemed £40 of damage had occurred but cost £400 to replace there would be no need to spend £360 to get the £40. Use the resolution service as you've suggested.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Ignore their aggression. Did you take a deposit?

Comment

Thanks for both your replies. Yes, 6 weeks deposit was taken and lodged by the agents on our behalf.

Comment

If you are confident that the deposit was properly protected and the PI issued to the tenant all within the 30 day deadline, then go ahead and propose a £100 (or more if you can justify it) deduction from their deposit to the scheme. They will probably disagree and it will go to arbitration so I hope you also have a detailed inventory preferably with photos and signed by the tenant on moving in.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X