End of AST fixed term: How much notice to give?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of AST fixed term: How much notice to give?

The wording of our AST states:

"6.2 If the Tenant wishes to terminate the Tenancy notwithstanding the fixed term to give to
    the Landlord a minimum of one months’ notice on or before a Rent Due Date to fall at the
    end of the following rental term in the event that the Tenant does not wish to continue this
    agreement beyond the fixed term or wishes to determine any continuation of the term."

The AST fixed term runs from 30/06/2017 to 29/11/2107.

We have just paid our final months rent for 30/10/2017 to 29/11/2017.

Do we have to pay another months rent if we were to hand in notice now that we want to leave on 29/11/2017?

You can leave on the last day of a fixed term without incurring a penalty or having to pay further rent. That would of course be in breach of the contract term but I think its probably an unfair term that wouldn't stand up to scrutiny in court if the landlord chose to pursue it.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

We were under the impression that a periodic contract was going to be possible from 30/11/2017, but we have just found out, after making the final months rent, that actually it will have to be fixed term, which really doesn't suit us as we are due to move into a new house when fully built.

Comment

You don't have to agree to any new fixed term. Any statement to the effect of "if you want to stay, you'll have to agree a new fixed term" is almost always the landlord and/or agent trying it on (or they're genuniely clueless).

Assuming you are an assured shorthold tenant (check), with a contract for a fixed term only. Then once the fixed term ends, and if you stay, then by law the landlord is deemed to have granted you a periodic tenancy on the same terms as your previous fixed term. The periods would be based on how you pay rent, so if monthly the period is monthly.

To end such a statutory periodic tenancy, you would be required to serve a notice to quit in writing of at least one complete period ending on the last day or a period.

Your landlord cannot prevent such a statutory periodic tenancy from arising. The law says it must.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to getting evicted - but no paperwork
          by DPT57
          What sort of disrepair is it? You don't have an automatic right to withold rent for disrepair. If the landlord can show no evidence that he served you notice then the claim should fail. If you reported disrepair that would qualify as a cat 1 or 2 hazard under HHSRS in writing prior to the notice then...
          03-06-2020, 17:38 PM
        • getting evicted - but no paperwork
          by beryl
          I have today been told that I am getting evicted and that there is a hearing next week.
          But I haven't received any Court papers, no notice to quit, no section 8, or section 21.
          I don't even know how this is possible as I thought there was a ban on eviction hearings.
          I owe rent yes,...
          03-06-2020, 17:32 PM
        • Reply to My tenant lied to me
          by DPT57
          I think the OP means the UC47...
          03-06-2020, 17:32 PM
        • My tenant lied to me
          by Uklondoner
          My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
          03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
        • Reply to My tenant lied to me
          by Perce
          2 months required for S8
          03-06-2020, 17:30 PM
        • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
          by DPT57
          The presence of a plastic consumer unit cover would normally be a c3 hazard, but I understand it could be higher if there are other related risks, such as where there is older wiring or poor bonding. In the end I beleive we will either have to become electrical experts ourselves or find trustworthy...
          03-06-2020, 17:14 PM
        • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
          by Ozzie11
          Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
          01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
        • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
          by jpkeates
          The guidance says that preparing a property for rent or sale is work that is allowed to be done in this phase of the lockdown.
          And staying in another property for work is allowed.

So travelling somewhere to work and staying there overnight is fine.
          03-06-2020, 17:04 PM
        • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
          by DJVera
          Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
          I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
          01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
        • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
          by DPT57
          Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "include"

For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where....
          03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
        Working...
        X