Tentacy since Jan 16 but still no keys!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tentacy since Jan 16 but still no keys!

I was wondering if anyone can help my boyfriend has a flat but went prison landlord kept flat on for him and all his belongings are in flat since flat needed a lot a work done the landlord said he would do it while my boyfriend was away but since he got out in June the landlord still hasn't give him his key! The housing benefit is still being processed as landlord toOK 2 months to give my boyfriend a copy to show council now the landlord is saying he wants a bond and won't give him key til that and rent is paid! Can landlord really expect rent when won't give him a key! As he can't live there and has had to stay with me since he got out cos of having no key the landlord also refuses to give him access to flat to get his belonging because he wants rent what are my boyfriends right tia for any advice and help

Assuming that neither the landlord or the boyfriend served notice, the tenancy should be ongoing.
    That means that the rent is still due and the tenant should be able to live in the property.

I'd talk to shelter, as I'd imagine its a lot more involved than that.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What happened to the key your boyfriend had before he went to prison?

Comment

If it were me and assuming all is as described with no surrender of tenancy, then I would get the lock changed by drilling out the existing one, retake possession and post the landlord a copy of the key.

Comment

Appears LL kept property avail and Ts contents secure for more than duration of prison sentence. Another LL may well have sought 'early surrender'.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X