Gas & Electricity providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas & Electricity providers

I have just had a letter from my Landlord telling me that I am obliged to change my provider to the one he has stated. I have done a check on this and I will be £250 pounds worse off than the one I am with now. I have lived in this house for 36 years but due to unforseen circumstances I had to sell and rent back so am really new to this game. I am in Scotland so there might be a difference in the tenancy law.

Originally posted by rona3579 View Post
    I have just had a letter from my Landlord telling me that I am obliged to change my provider to the one he has stated. I have done a check on this and I will be £250 pounds worse off than the one I am with now. I have lived in this house for 36 years but due to unforseen circumstances I had to sell and rent back so am really new to this game. I am in Scotland so there might be a difference in the tenancy law.
    Sounds like your LL is trying to make a few quid out of the utility providers by switching his properties over and claiming someform of cashback.

I'm not sure if it is different in Scotland, but in England the utilities are billed direct to the tenant as such, the contract for gas and electric is between the tenant and the provider. It has nothing to do with the LL.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
      Sounds like your LL is trying to make a few quid out of the utility providers by switching his properties over and claiming someform of cashback.
      I'm sure that's right - in fact I remember coming across a new scheme somewhere a couple of weeks ago encouraging landlords to transfer their properties over, in return for a kickback. Pretty nefarious if you ask me, if it means the tenant has to pay more in consequence (which they surely will).

I'm not sure if it is different in Scotland, but in England the utilities are billed direct to the tenant as such, the contract for gas and electric is between the tenant and the provider. It has nothing to do with the LL.
      Quite so, but that doesn't stop many landlords from stipulating in their tenancy agreement which provider is used for utilities (usually for the sake of simplicity more than anything else). That is something which is mentioned in the OFT's guidance on Unfair Terms and Contracts as being unfair - again, presumably this refers to England and Wales only? And is not legally binding anyway...

If I were the tenant here I would just write back to the landlord pointing out politely (and innocently) that as it's you who pays the bill, and that as it will cost you X more per year to make the change, you would prefer not to do so, thanks. And see what happens next! Hopefully he'll just drop it.

Comment

The utility contract is with the tenant not the L/L so unless there is a clause in the AST contract how can he make you???

Comment

Thanks to all who gave me advice, I do believe Utillity Warehouse whom I have neverhead of before is trying to get people to take out a franchise with property developers etc.

Comment

I signed up to utility warehouse 5 years ago when I moved into a new house as they were much the cheapest then. They have a pyramid-scheme type thing where you get a commission for introducing others (not that I was a part of it).

They are no longer the cheapest...
            The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

The lovely UW rears its head again! They have been fined 5 YEARS RUNNING by the ASA for false advertising.. how they remain in business is beyond me. We are still with them but that is just laziness on our part. I also have a friend who they mis calculated her readings for over a year and when she challenged it they denied it. It too her over 6 months to get her money back and as they had put her into so much debt she could not leave them til it was clear!

Tell your LL that you will NOT be changing over. They cannot force you and if they try you can sue them for harrasement. If you do some reserch on UW you can also put that in the letter to the LL!
              GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Have a look here for advice on UW.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...se#post8966251

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                  Tell your LL that you will NOT be changing over. They cannot force you and if they try you can sue them for harrasement. If you do some reserch on UW you can also put that in the letter to the LL!
                  Hmm. Rather than getting up on my high horse straight away, I'd favour my approach as a starting-off point, which might well put the whole issue to bed completely amicably.

If that doesn't work, then would be the time to escalate things.

Comment

I have just recieved a letter from The Utility Warehouse apolgising for the contents of the letter saying that they had not been keen to send the L L letter out and after speaking to a few of the other tenants informing her of the type of person she was dealing with has decided to distance herself from the person and asked me not to sign any contract. This is exteremely concerning as I too are wondering what kind of man I am dealing with. I have found out that he has been trying to sell the house - surely we should have been informed. Last week we got a mortgage arears letter from the court one addressed to the occupier the other to the LL I am paying £800 per month in rent should I pay any more until I find out what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamLifestyle
                      The Utility Warehouse consistently receive glowing third party reports from consumer magazine, for best value, best bundle deals, and always under cut British Gas and BT.

There are negatives and positives with any company. Customers grow on a daily basis and the company has received many write ups from finance magazines as a number one company to invest in, so there is no worry of it going out of business.

It is not a pyramid scheme, and the business is based on a network marketing model.

UW is of great benefit to landlords and letting agents, as they can under most circumstances offer tenants a saving, combine up to 6 services on to one bill, and for this agents receive a gathering bonus as well as a percentage of their tenants monthly spend, creating another substantial residual income, and maximising the profits of a rental property.
                      So says he who works for UW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Agree there Colin! I like the "Its not a pyramid scheme" Line best .... it so IS. To get bigger commission you need ppl below you... If that aint a pyramid scheme I dunno what is.
                        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                          Agree there Colin! I like the "Its not a pyramid scheme" Line best .... it so IS. To get bigger commission you need ppl below you... If that aint a pyramid scheme I dunno what is.
                          Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me too.

We had a 'normal' type pyramid scheme where I live a couple of years ago and lots of normally very sensible people I know got sucked into it. Lots of people got done financially in the end, lots of friendships and family relationships got destroyed and they all regreted they ever got involved.

Comment

Originally posted by simhar
                            This is the equivalent of a door-to-door salesman denying they arent selling something!
                            Or a poster on a LL's forum trying to flog computer software!

Comment

It's not a pyramid scheme.

It relies on a pyramid of commission-earning salesmen, but that's quite a separate issue.
                              The contents of this note are neither advice nor a definitive answer. If you plan to rely on this, you should pay somebody for proper advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X