Do I need to give notice if I have no tenancy agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to give notice if I have no tenancy agreement

I rented a Studio flat this year and had a rolling monthly tenancy agreement. 3 months in, the landlord gave everyone the building one months notice as he had been granted planning permission to redevelop the building earlier than he planned.

The landlord had wanted me to move into a new flat he was buying but a week before this was supposed to happen (and a the end of the notice period he had given) he said that the new flat had fallen through and I would to move out but gave me 2 weeks extra time as I was going on holiday for a week.

While I was on holiday the landlord told me that he had another flat to move into which is where I am now. He was supposed to give me a new contract but never did. He also said at the beginning of the first tenancy that my deposit was lodged with a deposit protection scheme though he never gave me any paperwork to prove this.

I have 2 questions:

1: Do I have to give any notice before moving out as I don't have a contract to live here (the orginial tenancy agreement was ended by the landlord).

2: How can I find out if the deposit was lodged with a protection scheme and is there more than one scheme?

Thanks for any help.

If you don't have a contract, you are probably squatting illegally! You probably have a verbal contract.

There are three schemes, but failing to tell you which scheme makes the landlord vulnerable to your suing for up to three times the deposit.

Comment

I dont know what type of agreement you had but the chances are that your landlord illegally evicted you from the first flat. It sounds like he doesnt have much of a clue. You can check whether our deposit is/was protected here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...tCw9MWT6M5mgHA

Comment

You established a verbal Contract with LL when you agreed to move in to the flat. LL may assume this was still a 'monthly Periodic' basis. If you're in contact, ask him. IMO he deserves some Notice. He did allow you an extra 2 weeks to cover your hols. & you may need a ref from him in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          If you don't have a contract, you are probably squatting illegally! You probably have a verbal contract.
          How can you be squatting if you have the LL's permission to be there, verbal or otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            You established a verbal Contract with LL when you agreed to move in to the flat. LL may assume this was still a 'monthly Periodic' basis. If you're in contact, ask him. IMO he deserves some Notice. He did allow you an extra 2 weeks to cover your hols. & you may need a ref from him in the future.
            Very generous considering the guy was supposed to be moving into the LL's new flat, and the LL had (assuming AST) not served proper s21 or gone to court for possession for the old one....

But yes OP, you have a tenancy agreement, just not on paper.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent increases.
              bobcat
              Hi everyone.
              I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
              21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Rent increases.
              mariner
              I might wait to see what effect the Budget and Brexit may have on the economy.
              Keep any rent increase to max 5% p.a.
              22-10-2019, 02:50 AM
              MdeB
              work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
              21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
              DPT57
              My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
              21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
            • Broken window, who should pay T or L.
              marco1733
              So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
              21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
            • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
              MdeB
              At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
              21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
            • Energy efficiency certificate
              Thehitman2001uk
              I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
              or did the current...
              21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
            • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
              leaseholder64
              I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
              21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
            • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
              Thehitman2001uk
              It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
              Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
              21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
              ash72
              My advice would be to seriously think about increasing, my experience is have a tenant paying on time and looks after the property is worth £10 pm increase. The market has now changed for T's therefore with fees now removed they can move more freely without thinking of the additional costs. Also if...
              21-10-2019, 20:23 PM
            Working...
            X