Deposit incorrectly handled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't think of any situation in which the tenant makes a genuine technical (if naive) error, attempts to put it right and costs nobody anything yet becomes liable to the landlord for an additional 4.5 months rent (based on deposit of 1.5x monthly rent).
    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammy View Post
      something of this magnitude
      This event has no magnitude for anyone. There were no losses.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks everyone for writing. I had no intention of breaking the law, I guess it was just my lack of experience (and awareness of the consequences) that allowed me to make this mistake.

I've agreed with my tenant to return the deposit and sign a new tenancy agreement. He will send me the deposit back (hopefully), and it will all be handled properly this time.

If the worst happens that'll be a lesson taught the hard way, but I'll really not worry about it until it does. And if it does, I'll just have to bite the bullet and walk a few steps backwards on that property.

It's not the first time something bad happens.... I'm sure everyone here has a lot of stories to tell, I'm growing a list of them with 3 properties now. (This is the only one where I'm to blame though...)

Comment

Hey, the reason we all know stuff is mostly because we've all been there.

It's good if it only happens once!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X