Does it matter who pays for a repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it matter who pays for a repair?

I find myself in a weird situation where I think the agency owes me money hut they insist that they don't and I would be really greatful if someone could let me know who is right in this situation.

A couple of weeks a go, my girlfriend was visiting me and she had to access my room while I was at work. But the key didn't work and she couldn't get in. She tried calling the agency's emergency number 5 times over the space of 30 minutes. It went straight to voicemail every time so she called a locksmith. He charged £213 and when I asked the agency to refund me they said that they weren't responsible for her because her name was not on the contract, and that she hadn't given them a propper chance to deal with the issue themselves anyway , i.e. That she should have waited for their response because it wasn't that late (it was around 6:30-7:00) and it wasn't a life or death situation.

I don't think this makes a difference because the issue is that a lock broke down and they did not respond to the request to come and fix it so a locksmith had to be called and ended up charging much more than it would have cost them to repair themselves.

Thank you in advance.

I think the agents are right.

However, the agent should compensate you for what the job would cost had they done it (assuming the lock was actually broken and it wasn't simply a duff key copy).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The landlord is liable for repairs to a broken lock. It seems clear that they are taking you for a ride.

An emergency number that goes to voice mail all the time in the space of 30 minutes without a call back is not an emergency number...

Comment

The person resp for calling out locksmith (gf) is liable for cost.(not LA/LL IMO).
        Did locksmith leave lock for LL inspection?
        30 mins to answer an emergency call at 7.30pm is disturbing, but not excessive and it turned out not to be a fire/flood 'emergency'
        All OP can do is ask LL for a partial contribution to cost.

Comment

Was it a broken lock or a problem with the key? As I have found personally it's always best to get a key cut from the original. Keys cut from copies of a copy don't always work.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X