Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy Pipes and Nocturnal Neighbours

Hi Guys,

In a 3 bed flat in London. It is ground floor, part of a terraced house. I moved in 2 weeks ago, and there are me and two others sharing the flat. We are all signed tenants on the tenancy agreement. The property (all of the flats in the terraced building) is managed by a letting agency, and owned by a company, not an individual. We have signed a 12 month lease.

In regards to noise, the tenancy agreement mentions TVs and music, entering and leaving the property and use of the washing machine. However my neighbors (presumably on the same style of agreement) in the flat above are making their noise by having shower at 3AM. The piping in the property is incredibly old, and all flats seem to share a boiler, with the landlord paying gas bills for every flat. The neighbors above seem to be shift workers, or hospitality workers, who return from work around 2 AM (usually quietly, although on occasion they wake me) and hop in the shower around 3. Nearly every night, the whooshing and creaking of the pipes is loud enough to wake me up, and keep me up for the 15 minutes duration of their shower. What are my rights in regards to this noise? The tenants above presumably have no obligation in their tenancy agreement to not shower at night. Do the landlords/letting agency have the expectation placed on them by law that they will provide sufficient sound insulation, or quiet plumbing?

Thanks,

Sam

This is not teally something you can offload onto the LL or agent to deal with. Its something you should do yourself through negotiation since, as you say, they are probably not breaking any rules. If it doesnt change and you cant tolerate it ask the agent if you can have an early surrender and find somewhre else

Comment

Well, I don't think you have any rights! The tenants aren't doing anything wrong - I would imagine your daytime activity is as annoying for them. And it might be that the LL could do more but, if they ran the prescribed soundproof tests then they don't have to!

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ved-document-e

You might find something useful here, but I don't think the new regs (2015) can be applied retrospectively.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        This is not teally something you can offload onto the LL or agent to deal with. Its something you should do yourself through negotiation since, as you say, they are probably not breaking any rules. If it doesnt change and you cant tolerate it ask the agent if you can have an early surrender and find somewhre else
        Oh dear, I was hoping there might be noise pollution laws or equivalent which could help me out, requiring landlords to install sufficient insulation. If better plumbing in regard to utilities were used, or insulation was installed when the terraced house was converted into flats this wouldn't be an issue. Are there any laws against property developers cutting corners in this way?

I'm only allowed to surrender my contact early if we can find 3 tenants to take over the property for us, would get charged £450 to hand over the tenancy to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
          Well, I don't think you have any rights! The tenants aren't doing anything wrong - I would imagine your daytime activity is as annoying for them. And it might be that the LL could do more but, if they ran the prescribed soundproof tests then they don't have to!

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ved-document-e

You might find something useful here, but I don't think the new regs (2015) can be applied retrospectively.
          Ahh thank you for this. How would I find out if the landlord has undertaken these tests? Would they be required to show me proof if I requested it?

Comment

Before you rely on anything in there... do you now when the house was converted? If it was before 2015 then nothing there can be applied retrospectively.

Basically what you are experiencing is the joy of living in a converted flat! I suppose you could ask your local authority, but that may not fix anything and will annoy the LL/LA.

Is it annoying enough to find replacements and pay the costs? Or can you put up with it for the rest of the lease? Talking of which, is there a break clause in the lease you could use?

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
              Before you rely on anything in there... do you now when the house was converted? If it was before 2015 then nothing there can be applied retrospectively.

Basically what you are experiencing is the joy of living in a converted flat! I suppose you could ask your local authority, but that may not fix anything and will annoy the LL/LA.

Is it annoying enough to find replacements and pay the costs? Or can you put up with it for the rest of the lease? Talking of which, is there a break clause in the lease you could use?
              Unfortunately I think the flat was converted in 2010 or even earlier (the letting agents have said that it is due a refurb next year and from what I understand as rule of thumb landlords generally go at least 7 years between renovations), so yes those guidelines cannot be applied.

Yes I suppose we should have anticipated some noise! I was actually very impressed with how harsh the contract was in terms of noise pollution, and naively believed that as all of the neighbors were on similar contracts that we would be sufficiently protected from the well known noise issues of converted properties.

We will have to put up with the noise, buy ear plugs and so on. All three of us are postgraduate students and simply don't have money for the termination costs, and other associated costs of moving, like van hire, fees associated with new property and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuelips View Post

Yes I suppose we should have anticipated some noise! I was actually very impressed with how harsh the contract was in terms of noise pollution, and naively believed that as all of the neighbors were on similar contracts that we would be sufficiently protected from the well known noise issues of converted properties.
                They probably are and will not be doing anything wrong. They just happen to live / work to a different schedule than you. As I said earlier, it is just as likely that your day time showers disturb their sleep too!

Good luck with the ear plugs and just getting used to it!

Comment

Is it just you or all 3 complaining about noise?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                    Is it just you or all 3 complaining about noise?
                    The shower noise is loud enough to wake all three of us! We are all contemplating raising it with the landlord, although there isn't much point if we have no proper grounds on which our complaint will be heard.

Comment

Explain the problem to your neighbours and ask if they would be willing to shower at a different time of the day. It may just work.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X