Section 21 Notice served; how to proceed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 21 Notice served; how to proceed?

Hi All,

New to all this, so please be patient.

Ok, I have a T who I have served s21. I have read most of the forums and think i understand my next move if the T does not vacate the property is to issue court proceedings.

However what is different I think in my case is I have no tenancy agreement with the T. I bought the property with the T already in. The T is on a 12 month shorthold tenancy agreement with the previous owner (So T is not a sitting T).

I have served s21 to finish the day after the shorthold tenancy agreement ends. I am still receiving rent from the T, but my grounds for eviction are the rent needs to be increased by over £100 pcm. The T is not willing to pay this, so it left me no choice but to serve s21.

What problems can you forsee for me if the T does not leave?

Were the correct notices issued to the tenant when you purchased the property?
    If so, then your proposed rent increase has nothing to do with it. If you have issued a correct S.21 notice with correct dates, then no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by harra View Post
      However what is different I think in my case is I have no tenancy agreement with the T. I bought the property with the T already in. The T is on a 12 month shorthold tenancy agreement with the previous owner (So T is not a sitting T).

I have served s21 to finish the day after the shorthold tenancy agreement ends. I am still receiving rent from the T, but my grounds for eviction are the rent needs to be increased by over £100 pcm. The T is not willing to pay this, so it left me no choice but to serve s21.

What problems can you forsee for me if the T does not leave?
      1. T:
      a. is a sitting tenant; and
      b. does hold a tenancy from you.

2. When you purchased, T already occupied and remained in occupation- that's exactly what 'sitting tenant' means. He became your tenant, on the same Agreement as already existed.

3. Did you serve on T:
      a. V's written Authority in your favour for future rent payments;
      b. Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985; and
      c. Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

It is a must that you establish without doubt the date the tenant first took occupation.

If the tenant has been there for many years, you may well have a problem.
        On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
          It is a must that you establish without doubt the date the tenant first took occupation.

If the tenant has been there for many years, you may well have a problem.
          But OP stated that T holds an Assured Shorthold Tenancy granted by previous L.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            But OP stated that T holds an Assured Shorthold Tenancy granted by previous L.
            But he didn't say this was the first one - it might have been the last of a succession of them.

As you will know, If the tenant first occupied before 28 Feb 1997, the problems of a s20 notice will arise - and if not held together with evidence that it was served before the tenancy began, then it will be an assured tenancy and s21 won't apply.
            Last edited by Esio Trot; 28-02-2008, 16:29 PM. Reason: clarification
            On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Okay all thanks for your advice. have taken it on board but a few things to clear up and explain a few things.

jaffrey - yes t is a sitting T and the shorthold tenancy agreement is no with me not the previous L.
              At the moment I have only served s21.
              Can you expmain a bit more about
              3. Did you serve on T:
              a. V's written Authority in your favour for future rent payments - I just served s21 and did not give reasoning for eviction. I had discussed with T at length about the rent increase.
              b. Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985; and
              c. Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987?

A bit unclear on s3 of LTA 1985. In the S21 L provided address to cover s.48 of LTA 1987, does that cover it? the problem I might have is only the tenancy agreement was handed over, no other information was forthcoming from the previous L. To say the least I was royally done over, but live & learn and will never buy again with sitting tenant. Has not put me off yet!

Esio trot thanks for that, I am unclear on how long the T has lived in the house. I will find that out.

thanks again for your help

Comment

Just to clear up jeffrey yes I did serve the s21 correctly 1 day after the shorthold tenancy expires. Also the T has all my details, but I have nothing from the previous L.

thanks again

Comment

If the Section 21 expires one day after the expiry of the tenancy, then is this not invalid. Im sure that you must say you want possession of the property on.......and state the last day of the tenancy, not the day after. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

From what I have read, I am sure it is the day after the tenancy expires. Due to L not being able to take possession of the property until the shorthold tenancy agreement has run its course and expired?

Comment

Could someone clarify. if this is incorrect please? I will have to serve notice again to T. I have enough time to do so as issued the s21 before the 2 month's.

Comment

Could someone clarify. if this is incorrect please? I will have to serve notice again to T. I have enough time to do so as issued the s21 before the 2 month's.
                        If you issue a S.21 notice whilst still within the fixed term of the tenancy, then you must give at least 2 months notice to expire at ANY time of the fixed period.

If you have a Periodic tenancy, then it must be two clear months notice to expire at the end of a rent period. i.e rent is due 24th of the month, the notice must expire after 23rd of the month with 2 months notice.

Comment

harra: go back to (and re-read) item 3 in my post #3.
                          These Notices/Authority are nothing to do with seeking possession . They are an absolute requirement whenever the landlord's interest changes hands. Get them done RIGHT NOW, if you haven't yet done them, or you might well fall at the first hurdle.

Comment

So to clarify jeffrey i need to serve the T my address, even though it was on my s21.
                            I as the L should have issued this when I took over the Shorthold Tenancy agreement? Is there anything else I should have issued?

Not looking forward to the outcome here as it is not the best eviction case to have as my first one. Although hope i don;t have to go through it too many times in the future.

If all else fails could I serve s8?

if that fails, could I enter into a 6 month shorthold tenancy agreement with the T and then serve s21 for eviction at the end of the 6 months?

Comment

So to clarify jeffrey i need to serve the T my address, even though it was on my s21. I as the L should have issued this when I took over the Shorthold Tenancy agreement? Is there anything else I should have issued?
                              Yes- see item 3 in my post #3 (3rd time that I have told you this!)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Legal question
                                by KTC
                                I'm afraid it may be worth speaking to a wills and probate solicitor for advice.
                                01-03-2021, 16:09 PM
                              • Legal question
                                by mind the gap
                                Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
                                01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
                              • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
                                by annam222
                                Yes I really do not want to serve anything formal. I will let them know in a few months that I am considering selling the flat in approx May next year. If I can then switch to periodic month by month from August this year then hopefully that means I can avoid any long notice period. But I won't bring...
                                01-03-2021, 16:00 PM
                              • Notice Period to Tenants
                                by annam222
                                Hi all,
                                I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
                                01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                The best thing to do is to talk to the tenants and let them know about the possibility of selling the property.
                                That gives them plenty of time to plan their move and find somewhere else to live.

If you go straight to a formal notice it can do a lot of damage to the relationship....
                                01-03-2021, 15:51 PM
                              • Reply to Another way to suffer from Covid
                                by Hudson01
                                You say he can afford the rent... how do you know that ? Does he work ? The idea of claiming under a '' false statement '' will be very difficult to prove, i would seek the assistance of a professional agency who can check all your paperwork and get this parasite out.
                                01-03-2021, 15:45 PM
                              • Another way to suffer from Covid
                                by P'd off of Romford
                                Hi Guys

Yes, sorry, this is another tale of woe, for which I apologise in advance....

FirstIy, I have Multiple Sclerosis, and as a result, can no longer work in my professional field.

For this reason, I have recently rented out my former home, as a means of a small...
                                01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
                              • Reply to Legal question
                                by mind the gap
                                No sadly, it isn't possible and even if it were, he is happy where he is. He has been offered the option, but has declined.

The thorny issue seems to be the capacity question. To any sensible human being, the fact that he can forget a decision as soon as he has made it would suggest that...
                                01-03-2021, 15:43 PM
                                by annam222
                                Thank you very much. I didn't realise that a section 21 had to be served, this is my first time renting out my flat. I thought that once the 12 month period ended that we either renew or the agreement just ends.
                                I may want to sell the flat in Spring next year so I had queried with the estate agents...
                                01-03-2021, 15:42 PM
                              • Reply to Your move references
                                by Hudson01
                                Ditto, i do not accept guarantors, so its a binary choice for me....
                                01-03-2021, 15:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X