Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8 14 days Notice

Hello
    I'm sending my tenant a Section 8 14 days’ notice, as he’s over 2 months in arrears.
    I'd like to send a letter with this notice.
    Am I right in assuming that after the PCOL is actioned and the judge makes a judge against the tenant for rent arrears that they will receive a CCJ (County Court Judgement) on their name?
    How would this adversely affect them going forward. Could their future employer find out?
    Let me know other adverse things that may arise from the CCJ, so I can include these details in the letter.
    If the tenant knows all the negative effects of such a claim, it may induce them to pay, so we can avoid drawn eviction action and legal costs.
    Thank you.
    Emily

Send the letter separately from the notice IIWY. You don't want to 'mitigate' the notice in any way.

Comment

A CCJ is only created if the tenant doesn't pay and you apply to the court for this to happen.
      It doesn't happen automatically.

The cost of the court fee and the Bailiffs will be added to what they owe.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

When you complete the online claim form, using PCOL, you indicate whether you are seeking a money judgment as well as possession - and I can't think why you wouldn't, so on the assumption that your application is successful at hearing, you get a CCJ for not just the rent arrears specified on your notice, but also for any additional rent due by the hearing date, and for a daily charge for future rent until possession is enforced.

However, judgments made for rent arrears in these circumastance do NOT get entered into the register of outstanding judgments - so they have little deterrent effect, as third parties will not be able to find out about them. The judgment will only be registered if you take additional enforcement steps - which seems very unfair. The alternative is to issue proceedings through MCOL, but your full debt won't be known until after eviction, but you could sue, now, for just the current arrears if you wanted to.

Comment

Why is it 'unfair' to register a CCJ for rent arrears?
          It will make it difficult for the recipient open a further credit account and will maybe alert future LLs .

Comment

mariner,

You misunderstand: I'm complaining that the CCJ doesn't get registered. Personally, I think summary execution would be more satisfying than execution against goods, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by StuartH View Post
              The alternative is to issue proceedings through MCOL, but your full debt won't be known until after eviction, but you could sue, now, for just the current arrears if you wanted to.
              Can you use MCOL even if there is a section 8 issued, that hasn't gone to court. Do you know what covers Pre action and protocols in relation to MCOL I have already issued a letter re rent arrears and spoken to the tenant. Would that cover Pre Action?

Comment

MCOL and section 8 are independent, but you can't claim the same money under both processes.

You need to have confirmed formally (probably in writing) that there are specific arrears (at a value and any likely future increase), that it must be paid by a date (normally a couple of weeks) after which you reserve the right to take legal action without further notice.

If your previous letter meets that requirement, no further action is required.

You may have an issue with the process if you've indicated that you intend to claim the arrears as part of the repossession process.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
                  by Perce
                  It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                  29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                • Section 21
                  by zrux
                  Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                  I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                  28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                • Reply to Section 21
                  by MdeB
                  Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                  29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                  by Stew
                  I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                  29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                  by MadLL
                  Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                  I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                  29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
                  by Perce
                  DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
                  29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
                • The tenant won't pay due rent
                  by Uklondoner
                  The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
                  18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
                  by Hudson01
                  I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
                  29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
                  by Perce
                  Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
                  29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
                • Reply to Section 21
                  by Perce
                  The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
                  29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
                Working...
                X