Prescribed information document - do you customise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescribed information document - do you customise?

Hi all,

New tenants are about to move in next week and am getting everything sorted. Due to issues with the previous tenants and their disputing charges that we proposed to deduct from the deposit, am wondering whether it is worth/advisable to put a sample table of sample charges for common items (such as carpet cleaning, broken bed etc) as an addition to the prescribed information document.

That way, the tenants sign the document, which acknowledges that they are aware of the potential costs for common items.

Good idea? Does anyone else do this?

Thanks

Forget taking a deposit IIWY. You'll never get reasonable compensation if tenant disputes it. Just add a small amount to the rent.

Comment

AFAIUI, has little to no legal effect.

1) The tenant does not have to sign the PI, only to be offered the chance to sign it.

2) Any signature merely indicate acknowledgement of the information, not agreement.

3) The information merely has the effect to say that's how much you would want to charge for something, not that it's fair or justified.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

JKO - the market dictates what the rental amount can be, very difficult to add more on top. And doesn't a deposit cover the situation (at least partially) of unpaid rent?

Thanks KTC. If the tenant didn't have a good reason to not sign it, that would be an early warning sign of possible difficulties ahead.

Acknowledgement is a start. At least it won't be a surprise to them off what a proposed cost would be should a charge have to be made at the end. They can still dispute the charge if its unfair or unreasonable, but I'd make sure any charges listed are at market cost.

i guess I wanted to check whether anyone does this as standard practice. And whether there is a specific reason why I shouldn't do this. I appreciate that it can be challenged at the end when the time comes to specify deductions from the deposit, but surely it adds a little weight to my argument at the end, if not necessarily legally them at least with the tenant during informal discussions?

Comment

Add the schedule to the tenancy agreement, not the Prescribed Information.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by security2 View Post
            JKO - the market dictates what the rental amount can be, very difficult to add more on top. And doesn't a deposit cover the situation (at least partially) of unpaid rent?
            You are right. It's all down to negotiation I guess. I'm sure you are familiar with the situation where a viewer knowing the rent, still asks you to come down a little? Well that's the moment you look at his three kids running riot, and stick to your guns.

Therefore you need to advertise the place at the highest rent you can get viewers at.

Comment

You cannot realistically cover and list down possible charges for all eventualities!
              i add to my AST a professional clean price estimate based at tenancy start date plus moving tems back to original locations on an hourly rate, if not done by departing tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X