Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Tenancy Inspection

Hi All,

We are tenants coming to the end of our contract this week and have been waiting for a date and time for inspection. I contacted the landlord who said the agents will be doing this as the landlord is on holiday, but since then the agent has been in touch with us to say that we need to arrange this with the landlord as they do not manage the property. I have mentioned this to our landlord but is it our responsibility to organise this?

A side question, when we began the contract I asked the landlord if they wanted to do an inventory check but they did not think this was necessary as the property was unfurnished. We have cleaned it to a good standard and to the state it was on arrival, but just worried about the landlord may pull up a few issues. Where do I stand if this is the case?

Thank you in advance.

I am a bit conflicted, I am a clerk, so that will colour my response

How long did you live there?
    Do you have a full ingoing inventory?

If you do you could simply follow it and make your own check out report... with pictures of each room, each surface (1 x ceiling with the light on, 1 x floor, 1 of each wall again with any wall lights switched on - don't forget the cooker hood). Send it to the LL and agent and tell them you don't anticipate any deposit deductions.

Or you could simply move out... let the LL do as he will and then dispute anything as he didn't do it in a timely fashion.

Or you could hire a clerk yourself, give them a copy of the ingoing inventory and let them do the job.

If you had no ingoing inventory then take pictures, as outlined, and move out. The LL will find it VERY difficult to prove any damage on your part. I'd send those pictures to the LA and LL too, again saying that you don't anticipate any deductions.

And if you did not have an inventory did you get all of the other legal paperwork at the beginning of your tenancy, the stuff called "Prescribed Information" including deposit scheme information, explanation.
    Save

Comment

Thanks Stef.

There was no ingoing inventory and there is nothing signed by us and the landlord noting the state of the property when we moved in.

We were told the deposit went into a deposit scheme and we should have received a number, but never did. I stupidly did not chase this up. We have it in the contract stating the amount of the deposit however.

Comment

Ah! Then sit back and watch this space. You will get some good information about how you can deal with your lax / amateur landlord. He has made a few errors and many much more savvy landlords here will tell you what your next steps could be.

You were not stupid in not chasing it up but your landlord may have made an expensive error. Based on a 10 year old law... so he really should know how it is done!

Have you checked that your deposit was actually protected? That would be the first step. Shelter have the sites you should check and info on what steps you can take if it was not

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...t_is_protected

Comment

Thanks for your help Stef! Checked on the link and can see that our deposit is protected which is good. The landlord has been quite amateurish which makes me think they will try take money from us when we leave.

Comment

The LL will find it v difficult to support any deduction proposed without a move in inventory, apart from any you agree to. At least you can ask Deposit Scheme ADR to adjudge any proposed deductions you disagree with.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tennant refusing repair option to lights
              nbhamilt
              Just a question on repairs. The lighting in the lounge is broken, I want to get an electrician in to replace the two big light fittings with recessed LED lighting. The Tenant is refusing this repair work as they are concerned about the mess. they are not making an issue and have even offered to replace...
              18-01-2018, 17:03 PM
            • Reply to Tennant refusing repair option to lights
              AndrewDod
              Is this a safety issue?

If it is, and if they are refusing I would carefully document it and then evict them as soon as possible (after making sure that they are really sure they want to resist).

If it is not a safety issue - then why bother. Just let them live with broken...
              18-01-2018, 19:11 PM
              nbhamilt
              But if he's refusing the repair being offered out of fear of mess because its not a like for like replacement but technically an improvement, can i insist on that? Not that i'm going to cause an issue as they have been a good tenant for 5 years. What i'm getting at is if they do the repair themselves...
              18-01-2018, 18:48 PM
            • N5B Form Queries
              cavavin
              Evening to you all,

My estate agent served section 21 notice correctly including EPC, How to Rent and etc Unfortunately the tenant is not vacating the flat hence I am applying for the possession of a property by filling N5B form. The property is located in England. https://formfinder.h...
              16-01-2018, 21:28 PM
            • Reply to N5B Form Queries
              sunnyp
              I would be inclined to say the date of the end of the first fixed term.

I am confused by question 10c

(c) if there is no relevant gas appliance in any room occupied by the tenant has the landlord displayed in a prominent position in the premises a copy of the gas safety record...
              18-01-2018, 17:22 PM
              theartfullodger
              Simply put in email/writing (keep copy) that you have made the offer to repair, at your expense, point to the clause that says they can't make such repairs and gently remind them not to, asking them to contact you when it would be suitable for your electrician to call, or offer to supervise him &...
              18-01-2018, 17:19 PM
            • Tenant has disappeared and left all belongings
              Ekoor
              Hello all, I am new to the forum and looking for some advice or help if anyone has been in a similar situation.

My tenants paid 1/2 of November's rent and told us they were going away for Christmas. They didn't pay December's rent nor January so are two months in arrears. We have tried...
              17-01-2018, 11:06 AM
            • Reply to Tenant has disappeared and left all belongings
              Ekoor
              I was hoping for some advice and support as this is our first ever rental property and we are just so confused with what to do and panicking about how long it will all take. As we cannot get hold of the tenants also I have not read many case studies were the tenants have disappeared with all of their...
              18-01-2018, 15:16 PM
            • Is the gov.uk Form 6A still valid?
              mariner
              My MA contacted me today worried that the Form 6A, downloaded from Gov website late Oct17, may be invalid as he did not provide LL name andwas about to apply for a Possession Order.
              He was worried as he heard some Judges had rejected the Form 6A for lack of LLs name.
              Right or wrong?
              17-01-2018, 22:44 PM
            • Reply to Is the gov.uk Form 6A still valid?
              KTC
              The issue with the form is well know since it came out, and yet MHCLG has never amended it so it must be their view that the issue isn't fetal.

Nowhere in HA1988 s21 does it state that a notice must include the landlord's address, and the lack of one don't seem to have ever been an issue...
              18-01-2018, 14:28 PM
            Working...
            X