Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of student tenancy

Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as did the other 2 girls, theblads stayed on. This weekend I went with her to help clean the house as they have to vacate on Tuesday and OMG!! It resembled a crack den! ( I've never been on one but how I'd imagine). It was appalling. Myself and another set of parents of one of the girls have done the best we can, I spent 6 hours cleaning the bathroom!!!! The culprits or their parents nowhere to be seen!

My question is about the deposit, even though they all paid separately they have been advised that all of the deposits will be returned to one person, the lead tenant who happens to be one of the lads. So he will get £700 x 5, minus deductions. If there are deductions for issues caused by them I'm fairly certain the girls will be paying for them! I just want to know if there is anything at all we can do?

Thanks in advance.

Were all of the people in the property on one "joint and several" tenancy for the entire property or did they each have separate agreements (usually for a room with some shared rooms)?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!

Comment

There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant" is a concept created by the deposit protection companies (although, to be fair, I don't really see how they could possibly protect a deposit from multiple people otherwise).

Only the lead tenant can dispute or accept the landlord's proposed settlement. If the lead tenant agrees something you disagree with, in theory, you could try and recover your loss from the lead tenant, but I'd imagine that's difficult in practice (and may not be the most socially acceptable thing to do).

This is one of the hidden learning experiences of being a student. Unfortunately, the lesson is actually learned by the parents, and there's no benefit in the new knowledge to them.
        The other lesson is that all first-year students live like pigs (unless they're starting older than 18).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Abandonment
          buttons
          I have had a phone call from the tenants daughter, (didnt know she existed), telling me he is leaving in two weeks. I told her he has nearly 4 months left on his 12 month AST. I subsequently got two calls from a housing association. asking for a reference for him, I told them the situation but they...
          20-09-2017, 19:56 PM
        • Reply to Abandonment
          KTC
          If the tenant holds a material interest of 6 months or more (i.e. during the 12 months AST), then the tenant is liable for council tax whether they are resident or not. During a SPT, the liability revert to the landlord when the tenant is no longer resident.
          20-09-2017, 21:33 PM
        • Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
          koksy
          I own a freehold house which has had the front garden paved over to provide off road parking. There is a dropped kerb in front of the garden and double yellow lines all the way across the front of the house.

The local neighbours are choosing to ignore the double yellow lines and keep parking...
          20-09-2017, 18:22 PM
        • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
          leaseholder64
          The police really do not like dealing with this sort of thing, and you are unlikely to get a response, even though they could prosecute for obstructive parking. This is especially true given the double yellow lines, as they would prefer the council impose a civil penalty.

Although it will...
          20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
          security2
          If someone blocked the public footway outside the front gate to the property so your tenant couldn't walk into the property, would he call you to get this rectified? Or would he call the police/council?

No different if its a car on the public highway or any other blockage on the public...
          20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Abandonment
          Wannadonnadoodah
          May only be tenants who have housing benefit paid then.
          20-09-2017, 21:17 PM
        • Reply to Abandonment
          buttons
          This I believe is incorrect, I do have experience of that part happening before and sent the council a copy of the AST and they cancelled my charge....
          20-09-2017, 21:14 PM
        • Reply to Abandonment
          Wannadonnadoodah
          In the eyes of the council as soon as he starts paying CT at his new property the liability will fall to you regardless of what else is happening.
          20-09-2017, 21:02 PM
        • Reply to Abandonment
          buttons
          I thought you could have it so that property was marketed but he still had liability as he wont be able to pay anything as he is unemployed and would reduce his liability to council tax if let before the end of his tenancy.
          20-09-2017, 20:48 PM
        • Reply to Abandonment
          KTC
          Either you recover the property, or the tenant is still the tenant with liability for rent & council tax (during fixed term of 6 months or more). You can't have it both ways of getting the property back but not liable for council tax.
          20-09-2017, 20:38 PM
        Working...
        X