Notice served to tenant, selling house, when can I advertise/invite people to view.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice served to tenant, selling house, when can I advertise/invite people to view.

Hi there,

We have served notice to my Tenant (2 months). When can we legally advertise (put up a sign in the garden, etc) and invite people round to view the house for sale. If I understand correctly, if I haven't got anything in the Tenancy contract about people being able to view the house, then it is down to the discretion of the tenant (we have nothing in writing regards selling the house in the contract).

We have to sell the house as due to the Government changing the laws with regards to claiming the mortgage interest payments off the tax. Due to this it is not financially viable to keep the house on, hence we have to sell it.

Any advice and possible pitfall notification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Cheers
    mtk

Viewings are entirely up to the tenant, many tenants simply say no.

More to the point, you need to be sure when the tenant is actually going to leave.
    2 months isn't very long to find a new place, save up a new deposit and sort out the references and paperwork and then actually move.
    Your notice doesn't actually have much effect if the tenant doesn't want to co-operate.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

putting a sign up is important as it shows you are genuninely going to sell and will focus the tenants mind - of course they may just ignore it or 'remove' it, but if youre going through n estate agent, that isn't your problem, neither would be getting the tenants to agree to viewings. have you considered offering it to your tenants at a lower price than you would advertise it with an agent?

Comment

Assuming you have valid EPC & GSC, you can advertise it now but talk to your Ts first. Don't arrange any viewings until Ts have vacated, or you can offer it to Ts as suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          Viewings are entirely up to the tenant, many tenants simply say no.
          No, it depends on the terms of the tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            Assuming you have valid EPC & GSC, you can advertise it now...
            It's not a prerequisite of sale that you have a valid gas certificate.

I appreciate that most people want to have their cake and eat it (rental income up until the day before completion) but it just isn't practical in most cases.

I'd hold off advertising until the tenant has left for a number of reasons;

- ease of access
            - presentability
            - vacant possession and no onward chain a bonus to most buyers

If you need to minimise the void period and flog it as quickly as possible then price it 10% below the competition and advertise an open house for a Saturday a couple of weeks after the tenant leaves (gives you time to do any odd jobs/cleaning).

The house will then find it's true value and (hopefully) you'll end up with multiple offers and you can pick your favourite in terms of price and speed of sale.

Comment

Originally posted by HantsAgent View Post

It's not a prerequisite of sale that you have a valid gas certificate.
              No, but it is for a successful section 21

Comment

Thankyou for your replies, much appreciated.

Our Tenant can no longer afford to stay in the property as their financial situation has changed, so I could not offer the house for sale to them.
                I think we are edging on taking a hit and waiting until they have finally moved out then we can get everything up to a decent standard for people viewing the property and ultimately for a quick sale, fingers crossed.

Cheers
                mtk

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X