Can Mrs T change locks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs T will give valid notice. Mr T probably won't move out so Mrs T will be liable for 2x rent at MrT's place and her own rent. Mr T has a very small income so the debt will fall to Mrs T.

Comment

If notice has been given then, indeed, a s.21 notice may be given as precaution.

The 2x rent is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
        Thanks jp. If Mrs T changed the locks now and excluded Mr T he'd throw a wobbler and would probably be howling at the front door all night. I don;'t think there's an easy way out of this. Easy and cheap, I should say.
        That's why I'm suggesting the landlord doesn't get involved - the tenants need to sort themselves out.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jp - I think you're right. They're just going to have to sort it out, even if Mrs T ends up paying an awful lot of rent.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, thoughts and comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
            jp - I think you're right. They're just going to have to sort it out, even if Mrs T ends up paying an awful lot of rent.
            She won't end up paying more rent than she is now and it is up to her to end the tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post

She won't end up paying more rent than she is now and it is up to her to end the tenancy.
              I think the OP means she will continue to pay the rent for her free loading partner, as well as the rent for the property where she is actually living.

although she wont' be paying more rent to the OP, she will be paying more rent in total.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                I think the OP means she will continue to pay the rent for her free loading partner, as well as the rent for the property where she is actually living.
                Hence serving notice to quit. There is no way around that, really.

Comment

Leaseholder - yes, she'll be paying her own rent and 2x the rent at the old place (because she gave notice and MrT hasn't moved out; she's the only one with any kind of income so she'll be liable).

Comment

There is no way around serving notice if she wants to leave.

As said the 2x rent is only if the landlord successfully pursues it.

Comment

The tenant's notice ends the tenancy, which also ends the joint agreement.
                      If Mr T remains in the property, he does so as an individual, not as the joint "tenant".

So he's not holding over, he's simply no longer entitled to remain.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X