Can Mrs T change locks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs T will give valid notice. Mr T probably won't move out so Mrs T will be liable for 2x rent at MrT's place and her own rent. Mr T has a very small income so the debt will fall to Mrs T.

Comment

If notice has been given then, indeed, a s.21 notice may be given as precaution.

The 2x rent is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
        Thanks jp. If Mrs T changed the locks now and excluded Mr T he'd throw a wobbler and would probably be howling at the front door all night. I don;'t think there's an easy way out of this. Easy and cheap, I should say.
        That's why I'm suggesting the landlord doesn't get involved - the tenants need to sort themselves out.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jp - I think you're right. They're just going to have to sort it out, even if Mrs T ends up paying an awful lot of rent.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, thoughts and comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
            jp - I think you're right. They're just going to have to sort it out, even if Mrs T ends up paying an awful lot of rent.
            She won't end up paying more rent than she is now and it is up to her to end the tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post

She won't end up paying more rent than she is now and it is up to her to end the tenancy.
              I think the OP means she will continue to pay the rent for her free loading partner, as well as the rent for the property where she is actually living.

although she wont' be paying more rent to the OP, she will be paying more rent in total.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                I think the OP means she will continue to pay the rent for her free loading partner, as well as the rent for the property where she is actually living.
                Hence serving notice to quit. There is no way around that, really.

Comment

Leaseholder - yes, she'll be paying her own rent and 2x the rent at the old place (because she gave notice and MrT hasn't moved out; she's the only one with any kind of income so she'll be liable).

Comment

There is no way around serving notice if she wants to leave.

As said the 2x rent is only if the landlord successfully pursues it.

Comment

The tenant's notice ends the tenancy, which also ends the joint agreement.
                      If Mr T remains in the property, he does so as an individual, not as the joint "tenant".

So he's not holding over, he's simply no longer entitled to remain.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

EDIT : This is not my tenant. Update: Mr T is looking for a flat. Mrs T needs to prove to housing benefits/UC that she is living alone. What's the best way for her to do this? Ideally a new TA would do but would the agent charge an arm and a leg to do this? I've suggested she go to the LL direct (not sure if there is in fact an agent). What happens about teh deposit ? Does it have to be given back and redeposit it?

Comment

The deposit will need to be re-protected if changing from joint to sole tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                            The tenant's notice ends the tenancy, which also ends the joint agreement.
                            If Mr T remains in the property, he does so as an individual, not as the joint "tenant".

So he's not holding over, he's simply no longer entitled to remain.
                            The tenant is holding over since the tenant hasn't left and has certainly not "delivered possession"...

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                              The tenant is holding over since the tenant hasn't left and has certainly not "delivered possession"...
                              Ah yes.

Berlinogogirl, I had got my threads crossed with one where the person remaining wasn't on the tenancy agreement.
                              While I don't actually agree with jjlandlord, he certainly has a valid point, and my post (#25) shouldn't have been so definite.

A joint tenant staying in place / holding over is nowhere near as simple as my response indicated.

The tenant's haven't sorted out the issue as suggested.
                              Mrs T is going to find it hard to prove anything to the housing benefit office as she is going to have a lot of rent due if she has simply moved out leaving her partner "looking for a flat".
                              There's a very good argument to be made that the tenancy continues as before.

She needed to exclude him when notice expired to end the tenancy beyond any doubt - and failed to do that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord's possessions in property
                                jmp1991
                                Hello,

Looking for some advice. We rent a property from a landlord which is managed by an agent.
                                Once we moved in, we discovered several very large boxes of the landlord's possessions stored in the only cupboard.
                                Due to this, we have ironing boards, hoovers, etc floating around...
                                20-05-2019, 19:03 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord's possessions in property
                                AndrewDod
                                Yes but that presumes the nature of the tenancy. The OP described it as multi-tenant, and hasn't reverted to us to clarify.

Second the OP initially referred to "boxes of the landlords stuff", but then later to "ironing boards, hoovers etc". There is no law that says...
                                27-05-2019, 09:41 AM
                              • New Tenancy Issues
                                AXY
                                Good Evening All,

I found this forum by a happy accident and would like advice on a tenancy issues on which I am not an well versed in.

I have recently moved into a property which has a few issues that are making my stay as a tenant quite uncomfortable. The landlord was being...
                                25-05-2019, 18:22 PM
                              • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
                                jpkeates
                                Please keep to the same sets of references.

If the Landlord is overseas and you are sending rent money to them and they are UK taxpayers, they have to either show you that HMRC have agreed to the rent being sent in full, or you need to deduct tax at base rate before sending it, and complete...
                                27-05-2019, 08:56 AM
                              • Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
                                Pergola
                                I'm a landlord and would appreciate if you could advise whether I will be in compliance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

I signed a tenancy agreement before 1st June for a tenancy beginning after that date and requested a deposit equal to 6 weeks of rent.

Based on 30(1)(b),...
                                14-04-2019, 08:55 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
                                Lawcruncher
                                A periodic tenancy is a single tenancy....
                                27-05-2019, 08:08 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
                                KTC
                                A periodic tenancy from before 1 June 2019 falls under s30(1).

A fixed tenancy from before 1 June 2019 that becomes periodic between 1 June 2019 and 1 June 2020 contractually is a continuation of a single tenancy and also falls under s30(1).

A fixed tenancy from before 1 June...
                                27-05-2019, 03:56 AM
                              • Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
                                funkar
                                Hello everyone.

It's about my tenant who was destined to give me trouble.

So, as soon as universal credit started, Rent payments switched to UC from the local council.

My tenant is ever since mostly drunk and enjoying the money which he was supposed to pay me as...
                                24-05-2019, 22:02 PM
                              • Reply to Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
                                mariner
                                Hopeless maybe, but T will still have a CCJ for debt, which should reduce access to further credit. Tcan blame UC for CCJ.
                                26-05-2019, 23:17 PM
                              • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
                                AXY
                                Okay to clarify- I secured the flat through a lettings agency and I had even met F before agreeing to the let.
                                Both the agency and myself always referred to the landlord by their last name even to this day and I never communicated with the landlord directly via email or phone before moving in....
                                26-05-2019, 23:03 PM
                              Working...
                              X