Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants reporting damp issues in flat

Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported humidity / damp issues throughout the flat (mainly from the winter months) in terms of condensation, some mould on walls, window frames, bit in wardrobe etc.

Given all the characteristics fit with this being a condensation issue as opposed to other damp causes, does anyone else have any suggestions / experience of dealing with this issue with tenants? They have asked for a solution to the damp which would be easy for me to sort if for example it was penetrating damp from a leaking gutter etc. However, condensation from my understanding is a result of the 'behaviour' of the habitants of the property in terms of ensuring it is properly ventilated, heated, avoiding the hanging of wet washing inside etc and indeed the requirement to prevent it is mentioned under the Tenants' Obligations in the Tenancy Agreement.

I have previously advised them on how to deal with condensation and for example they have said they now open windows every 3 days but I'm guessing this may not be sufficient especially since it is a ground floor flat so windows may be closed at night. All the rooms including bathrooms have windows so it is not due to an extractor fan not working properly for example.

Obviously want to get this sorted with the tenants so any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Get rid of the tenants, and you get rid of the problem, don't you?

Comment

Positive input ventilation?

Comment

Originally posted by james99 View Post
        they have said they now open windows every 3 days
        Evict as soon as possible.

Comment

do you have any extractor fans? Are they hard wired to be on when the light is on, say, in the bathroom? Do the tenants have a condensing tumble dryer?

Comment

Extractor fans in bathrooms are hard wired (I think, from memory).

I have come across these positive input ventilation systems, automatic humidistat fans etc when researching this issue but do not believe these are necessary given there are already ample sources of ventilation in the property and that this issue has only been experienced by the current tenants.

At present, I'm thinking the best 'solution' would be to advise the tenants they are not ventilating the property sufficiently, e.g. needs windows opening more than once every three days. And could suggest if their lifestyle makes this difficult they could use a de humidifier to help keep the humidity levels down?

Comment

And there is no condensing tumble dryer.

Comment

Ah, come on James. Your tenant is a f***wit. They are never going to change their ways. Get rid.

Comment

Tell them to stop drying clothes over the radiators in the flat and only dry them in the bathroom with the fan on or the window open

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                    Tell them to stop drying clothes over the radiators in the flat and only dry them in the bathroom with the fan on or the window open
                    NO NO NO - drying clothes should only be done outside the property - we all know that doesn't happen, but to actually suggest they can dry clothes inside the property gives the tenant a 'valid' excuse for any damage caused.

Comment

Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach of the lease is hanging washing out of windows, although a lot of people put clothes horses just inside the south facing lounge windows, with the windows closed!!)

Condensation is generally a poverty issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post

NO NO NO - drying clothes should only be done outside the property - we all know that doesn't happen, but to actually suggest they can dry clothes inside the property gives the tenant a 'valid' excuse for any damage caused.
                        I think it has to depend. My rental property bathrooms are fully tiled and have windows or high powered extractors. I would be fine with tenants drying clothes in there, in fact I've done it myself for years without any sign of mold.

Comment

I was asking about the fans/dryer because if they weren't installed there's a small chance that having them might allow them to reduce the amount of moisture they produce.

However,...

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                          They are never going to change their ways
                          ... is almost definitely true. You might be best off serving notice...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X