Appointment with Bailiff - Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appointment with Bailiff - Questions

Hello all, am new around here. If anybody could help with questions below related to enforcement of a county court order I'd be grateful.

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? AST, sole tenant

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy? 17/02/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)? 6 months

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)? Calendar month

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)? 17/02/2016, protected, custodial

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy). Section 8, 19/05/2017

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No

Rent is in arrears from 17/02/2017, section 21 notice issued 12/04/2017, section 8 noticed issued 19/05/2017. Court hearing based on section 8 was 17/06, tenant did not attend, possession and money order issued, for the tenant to leave by 31/07/2017. Tenant still in situ pleading poverty, despite a 2011 Mercedes without finance and several bikes at the property. Request for warrant of possession with outstanding rent c 7.5k submitted to court 13/08, and appointment with bailiff set for 21/09/2017.

My questions if anyone might help:

1. Is the tenant able to somehow evade the bailiffs notification of eviction on 21/09? I live abroad and will encounter upheaval to return to U.K. for this appointment if he can easily avoid the eviction.
    2. The notice says reasonable force may be used, we have keys and I'm happy to enter in any way possible and repair damage later, but I understand we can't do this. If tenant does not answer the door, do we simply walk away and fix another appointment? If so, how many times might we expect to attend before we can apply for 'committal for disobedience of the court order'?
    3. The arrears and costs are greater than 5k, so as I understand it the CCB cannot enforce this and for example take his car to settle this. Is this good ground to transfer up eventually once possession of the property is gained?

I'm not a professional landlord, and only rent out the house while abroad. I've only had bad experiences with agents, so decided to use a tenant finding service and manage with a family relative. However that still didn't weed out the professional rent dodger.

Any advice or answers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

1 - Not really, although they can ask the court for a further delay.

2 - Send the relative there with the keys. The bailiffs will do the rest. Make sure they arrange for a locksmith to attend in case the tenant has changed the locks and to change them once you have possession.

3 - The rest of the debt remains outstanding and you can instruct bailiffs to collect. They'll talk you (or your relative) though the process.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Abandonment
      buttons
      I have had a phone call from the tenants daughter, (didnt know she existed), telling me he is leaving in two weeks. I told her he has nearly 4 months left on his 12 month AST. I subsequently got two calls from a housing association. asking for a reference for him, I told them the situation but they...
      20-09-2017, 19:56 PM
    • Reply to Abandonment
      KTC
      If the tenant holds a material interest of 6 months or more (i.e. during the 12 months AST), then the tenant is liable for council tax whether they are resident or not. During a SPT, the liability revert to the landlord when the tenant is no longer resident.
      20-09-2017, 21:33 PM
    • Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
      koksy
      I own a freehold house which has had the front garden paved over to provide off road parking. There is a dropped kerb in front of the garden and double yellow lines all the way across the front of the house.

The local neighbours are choosing to ignore the double yellow lines and keep parking...
      20-09-2017, 18:22 PM
    • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
      leaseholder64
      The police really do not like dealing with this sort of thing, and you are unlikely to get a response, even though they could prosecute for obstructive parking. This is especially true given the double yellow lines, as they would prefer the council impose a civil penalty.

Although it will...
      20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
    • Reply to Tenant having parking issues trying to hold me responsible
      security2
      If someone blocked the public footway outside the front gate to the property so your tenant couldn't walk into the property, would he call you to get this rectified? Or would he call the police/council?

No different if its a car on the public highway or any other blockage on the public...
      20-09-2017, 21:20 PM
    • Reply to Abandonment
      Wannadonnadoodah
      May only be tenants who have housing benefit paid then.
      20-09-2017, 21:17 PM
    • Reply to Abandonment
      buttons
      This I believe is incorrect, I do have experience of that part happening before and sent the council a copy of the AST and they cancelled my charge....
      20-09-2017, 21:14 PM
    • Reply to Abandonment
      Wannadonnadoodah
      In the eyes of the council as soon as he starts paying CT at his new property the liability will fall to you regardless of what else is happening.
      20-09-2017, 21:02 PM
    • Reply to Abandonment
      buttons
      I thought you could have it so that property was marketed but he still had liability as he wont be able to pay anything as he is unemployed and would reduce his liability to council tax if let before the end of his tenancy.
      20-09-2017, 20:48 PM
    • Reply to Abandonment
      KTC
      Either you recover the property, or the tenant is still the tenant with liability for rent & council tax (during fixed term of 6 months or more). You can't have it both ways of getting the property back but not liable for council tax.
      20-09-2017, 20:38 PM
    Working...
    X