Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrying out my own checkout

Hello,

A checking in inventory was carried out by an independent agency at the start of tenancy. Ideally, now the tenant is moving out, the agency would also do the check-out.

However, money is tight at the moment as I have had to accept a lower rent from the new tenant.

Is it ok to carry out the checkout myself with the previous tenant or could this cause issues if there is a dispute?

Many thanks

Might be a reasonable idea. You are far better agreeing deductions with tenant than having a dispute adjudication.

Comment

Surely your preliminary checkout inspection and chat with the tenant will have shown whether there is anything likely to result in a dispute. Generally a good idea do do a pre-pre checkout inspection a week or two before tenant leaves so as to flag up anything that tenant might wish to attend to.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The check-in report was very thorough so will provide a great basis for the check-out. The tenant was a mild mannered 72 year old women so I suspect she won't have done much damage

Comment

There is no reason that you cannot do your own check-out. As long as the tenant agrees and signs the document.

Comment

I have a similar question regarding checkout inventory however mine is a very different situation. My tenant is being evicted next week by bailiffs and they have built up rent arrears of £5000 plus. I don't know how much damage they have done to the property as they haven't allowed me to get into the property since 6 months now, however, I reckon they would have as they have been very hostile.

Would it make sense to do a check-out inventory from a professional inventory company after they have been evicted?

I have £2500 deposit from the tenant and I am thinking whether the inventory will help me to claim the deposit as well as claim the remaining through the money judgement route.

Comment

it would be best to start a new thread, visha. You'll get more response with a new thread than a post on the end of someone elses thread from last year.

But my first question would be did you have any ingoing inventory at all?

Comment

yes, there was a ingoing inventory done by a professional inventorist

Comment

Then you should be OK. It isn't ideal, arbitration prefers the check out is done by the same person. But you could do it... you'd have to keep your non emotional, totally unbiased head on! And I know how difficult that can be - they're problem tenants, if I remember your other thread properly!

It may well be worth asking the clerk to do it, because of the situation!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I ask for a doctors note
                    michael james
                    Hello, I am looking for advice regarding a tenant who initially told me in December that he had been in hospital for 2 weeks for an operation on his nose and would not be able to pay his rent until January 2017 saying he will have to stay in hospital longer another 2 weeks at their request and as a...
                    18-01-2017, 11:39 AM
                  • Reply to Can I ask for a doctors note
                    michael james
                    Hello all, I have phoned the police regarding the room but they are saying it is a civil matter if the tenant occupies the room. They said I could change the locks but they just advised both me and my tenants to phone them if there are any more incidents. My tenants are not going to do this again as...
                    23-02-2019, 10:05 AM
                  • Gifted appliances
                    Commonsense
                    I hope I’m ok to ask a question as a tenant here! I have lived in a rented property for almost ten years. It’s rented from a large housing association at market rate rent on an assured shorthold tenancy. Within the rent, we pay a service charge of about £30 a month for maintenance of landscaping,...
                    22-02-2019, 10:40 AM
                  • Reply to Gifted appliances
                    nukecad
                    HA's do have to carry out GSC's, although some don't seem to think so and subsequently get into trouble for not doing them:

http://www.agsm.uk.com/as-a-number-o...for-providers/

Even if they remove the appliances and cap off the pipe they still have to have that inspected....
                    23-02-2019, 09:49 AM
                  • MCOL contested, gone to mediation, no reply from T
                    Berlingogirl
                    Just a quick question - I made a MCOL, which has gone to meditation due to T's request. If the T does not respond to the mediator to agree the date within the given time does the claim go to an actual court or can I request judgment via MCOL?...
                    23-02-2019, 09:30 AM
                  • Reply to Gifted appliances
                    Berlingogirl
                    I'd be interested to know too....
                    23-02-2019, 09:22 AM
                  • Giving Notice
                    jasper74
                    Hello, this is my first post.

I am about send a notice to quit to my tenants, they have been there for over 3 years. The tenancy began on the 27th day of the month. My question is, does it have to end on the 27th or can it end on any day of the month, say the 2nd?

Thanks...
                    22-02-2019, 20:18 PM
                  • Reply to Giving Notice
                    mariner
                    You think?
                    You should also include 'Info reqd from new posters' from the stickies.
                    23-02-2019, 04:24 AM
                  • Help with bad landlord
                    SacreLao
                    I have a friend who has rented a property on an assured shorthold tenancy for 3 years now. The tenancy has long expired and so has automatically converted into a periodic tenancy.

Recently following an inspection the boiler in the property was condemned and switched off as a result. She...
                    21-02-2019, 16:00 PM
                  • Reply to Help with bad landlord
                    KeepTheFaith
                    She seems to have her own ideas of how the law works, else she is trying to convince you that's how the law works.

You have told her she can't just write that she is putting it up without your friends agreement and your friend doesn't have to leave if she doesn't pay the increase. No need...
                    23-02-2019, 01:09 AM
                  Working...
                  X