Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrying out my own checkout

Hello,

A checking in inventory was carried out by an independent agency at the start of tenancy. Ideally, now the tenant is moving out, the agency would also do the check-out.

However, money is tight at the moment as I have had to accept a lower rent from the new tenant.

Is it ok to carry out the checkout myself with the previous tenant or could this cause issues if there is a dispute?

Many thanks

Might be a reasonable idea. You are far better agreeing deductions with tenant than having a dispute adjudication.

Comment

Surely your preliminary checkout inspection and chat with the tenant will have shown whether there is anything likely to result in a dispute. Generally a good idea do do a pre-pre checkout inspection a week or two before tenant leaves so as to flag up anything that tenant might wish to attend to.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The check-in report was very thorough so will provide a great basis for the check-out. The tenant was a mild mannered 72 year old women so I suspect she won't have done much damage

Comment

There is no reason that you cannot do your own check-out. As long as the tenant agrees and signs the document.

Comment

I have a similar question regarding checkout inventory however mine is a very different situation. My tenant is being evicted next week by bailiffs and they have built up rent arrears of £5000 plus. I don't know how much damage they have done to the property as they haven't allowed me to get into the property since 6 months now, however, I reckon they would have as they have been very hostile.

Would it make sense to do a check-out inventory from a professional inventory company after they have been evicted?

I have £2500 deposit from the tenant and I am thinking whether the inventory will help me to claim the deposit as well as claim the remaining through the money judgement route.

Comment

it would be best to start a new thread, visha. You'll get more response with a new thread than a post on the end of someone elses thread from last year.

But my first question would be did you have any ingoing inventory at all?

Comment

yes, there was a ingoing inventory done by a professional inventorist

Comment

Then you should be OK. It isn't ideal, arbitration prefers the check out is done by the same person. But you could do it... you'd have to keep your non emotional, totally unbiased head on! And I know how difficult that can be - they're problem tenants, if I remember your other thread properly!

It may well be worth asking the clerk to do it, because of the situation!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Cat Urine Smell
                    Lucymcmullen
                    Hi All, I am looking for some advise please. I've just rented a house and there is a very strong cat urine smell that is unbearable. The house stank when I viewed it but the previous tenant was still there at the time with the cats so I assumed the smell was coming from the litter box. I was informed...
                    21-09-2019, 17:59 PM
                  • Reply to Cat Urine Smell
                    Interlaken
                    It might be a good idea to find out where exactly the cat pee is using a UV light. Then treat with bleach multiple times. There are cat urine eliminators out there but I have never found them effective. Eventually the smell will go but I thoroughly recommend the bleach method.

22-09-2019, 12:10 PM
                  • Finding new tenant
                    artin
                    Hi
                    Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
                    I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
                    15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
                  • Reply to Finding new tenant
                    artin
                    I am accepting them but having rent guarantee insurance in case plus as above 2 months inspections. I also asked the estate agent to add a condition where to ask me if they want to add any bulky furniture except study desks for each bedroom which they wanted me to supply but I refused.

22-09-2019, 11:37 AM
                  • Long time tenants , no TA
                    Luke
                    Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                    Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                    Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                    Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
                    18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
                  • Reply to Long time tenants , no TA
                    jpkeates
                    There isn't (as far as I know) any accepted definition for someone moving out and back in.
                    It would be (I think) something that would be decided on the facts of the specific issue.

If your last tenancy agreement says that there is no deposit, I'd rely on that.
                    You can always...
                    22-09-2019, 11:15 AM
                    jpkeates
                    Cat urine is a health hazard.
                    Whether it's serious enough a hazard to make a property uninhabitable isn't something I know enough to comment on.

On a practical level, the flooring and carpets need to be replaced.
                    Bicarbonate of Soda will dry out the carpets and floor and kill...
                    22-09-2019, 11:08 AM
                  • Reply to Long time tenants , no TA
                    Luke
                    What is the legally accepted definition of the tenants moving out of a property and cessation of previous TA ?
                    Would it be written notice from the tenant giving date of leaving ?
                    Or would T have to vacate the property for a certain amount of time ?
                    How could I legally put an end to...
                    22-09-2019, 11:02 AM
                    leaseholder64
                    If there is no health hazard, I would have thought it was lettable, but with significantly depressed market rent.
                    22-09-2019, 10:59 AM
                    jpucng62
                    Bicarbonate of soda is the way to deal with this as mentioned above - but if it has soaked through to the floorboard all floor coverings will need to be removed first & then replaced once the floorboards have been scrubbed.

The smell, whilst unpleasant, is not a health hazard if the...
                    22-09-2019, 10:45 AM
                  Working...
                  X