Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loft Conversion Woes

Ok long story but bare with me please.

I bought a flat 3 years ago on a leasehold with nearly 100 years left on the lease. Its an old house converted in to two flats. The attic space is mine and the basement space is the ground floors.

When we bought the place we wanted to convert the attic, the seller mumbled something about planning already being in place and that its floored already.

Anyway after a year of living there we have no evidence of planning permission etc., but im led to believe the only thing needed is regs providing the outside isnt altered and obviously permission from the lesse.

Since we needed the extra space we "finished off" the attic to a point where we could use it , basically all we did was plasterboard the walls and fit some skirting board and we now use it as a office/storage space.

The floor that exists was investigated and very strong steel I beams have been fitted in to the brick at either end and then wooden battons used on top. We can happily jump around up there and theres been no problems.

Its coming to the point now where the flat has served its puprose and its time to move on , so theres two options with the attic space...

1. Remove our makeshift staircase and block the hole up replacing it with a normal sized hatch, de dress the attic and sell it as being storage only ( believe no regs or planning are needed to do this ) ?

2. Apply for permission from landlord to make it in to a livable space , apply for retrospectiver building regs and get it sorted , fit a window and sell for more cash aswell as remove any quarms about the space.

Can someone give me some advice and also a detailed plan of how to go about route 2 .

Thanks guys , been lurking for a while on here but my registration e-mail has just came through after 4 weeks !

Cheers

Don't forget to be aware of the planning situation. Are the two flats consented? Have they been there for over 4 years?

Also, flats do not have any permitted dev rights, so any change to external appearance may need PP....

Good luck!!

Peter

Comment

What do you mean by flats being consented ?

The house is 1890 property changed to flats around 10 years ago.

I dont plan to change the external appearance in anyway , at worst ill put a skylight at the rear.

Comment

He probably means to ask whether they have:
        a. TCPA permission; and
        b. Building Act/bye-law consent,

from the local planning authority.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Sorry Jeffrey , but thats foreign to me , if were talking about legality of the flats then they are all pukka.

Sorry im not savvy on all the terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Cableguy View Post
            Sorry Jeffrey , but thats foreign to me , if were talking about legality of the flats then they are all pukka.

Sorry im not savvy on all the terms.
            To alter property, one needs to contact local planning authority under:
            a. Town and Country Planning Act 1990; and
            b. Building Act 1984.

You are in England & Wales, I assume?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Yeah in england.

Any step by steps what i need to do to go ahead with the full conversion please ?

Comment

Loft space

Best course of action is to ask local planning officer for advice, there have been many horror stories about lofts where people have taken advice, done the work and had to take it all out again because the regs were not followed.

Comment

Right , sorry for the massive bump , im about to put this on the market now.

What i plan to do is make the attic a non living space so just storage , but leave the stiarcase i fitted there , would this be ok ?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X