Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council asks for Building Reg App for a 1980s Conversion

My problem:
    Council has written to me indicating that my flats did not have planning permision and the Building Control Surveyor (with a builder) needs to come to inspect the works carried out to assess if the works are illegal. They also say they may need to expose any works carried out to determine compliance with the regulations.

Background
    Bought a Victorian house in 2001 which, according to previous owner, was used as four flats since 1980s.At the time council searches indicated 4 flats and not “illegal” conversion.

Guided by an architect did some improvements works to the two top flats (fire doors, alarms, wood floors, new kitchen/bathroom,)
    All works were non structural and internal.
    After finishing the works (just under 5 years ago) I let two of the flats and my family and I live in the other two.

Last month I applied for Building Regulations Approval to do some works to the flat I am living in. Perhaps this trigger the council’s letters?

Can any one advice me how to approach the council to clarify or were to get professional “building regulations -regularization-“ guidance. As things are I will have problems raising the extra capital needed to do de improvement work
    and although is not my intention also would have problems selling at a good pricAny help/ideas would be most wellcome
    Many thanks
    maruca

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
    Myohmy
    Hi All,

I have a question. I think I have some sneaky neighbours and would like to hear from you on experience and knowledge if you can.

Neighbours at back started works to an extension (the properties are grade 2 listed). I went and spoke to them as it is not clear where...
    18-07-2017, 06:54 AM
  • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
    Myohmy
    Thank you Al,

I contacted the recommended surveyor, but he is too far away. Thanks though. I've appointed another, I'm worried about the costs as he said it can cost in the region of £1000-2000. I have to appoint my own as their's has done a runner and the neighbours haven't identified...
    19-07-2017, 22:12 PM
    flyingfreehold
    bizarrely if properly appointed a party wall surveyor cant just walk away. He is stuck with the job once appointed. I have no connection with him but I would suggest you got help from someone who knows the law backwards. The best party wall surveyor I know is Harold Coyne FRICS of Coyne and Co who goes...
    19-07-2017, 03:17 AM
    nukecad
    Your initial problem seems to be that neither of you knows where the boundry actually is.

Without knowing that then you can't know if the wall is on the boundry, on their land, or on your land.
    (The same goes for any foundations).

Also the surveyor in any disputed PW...
    18-07-2017, 14:43 PM
    MrShed
    I'm not an expert in this area, but, I read the situation very differently to you. I feel they have chanced their arm and are now playing the "lawyer" card to try and bluff you into backing off. I dont think they know anything you dont, in fact I suspect they know very little about the law...
    18-07-2017, 07:17 AM
  • New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
    MisterB
    a couple of years ago my daughter bought a small end of terraced house. within the legal pack it mentioned that the adjoin terraced houses had 'access' down the side of her house and across the back - which isnt unusual and isn't a problem. there was no vehicular access as the side of the house was...
    08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
  • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
    MisterB
    that's the situation perfectly explained in a much better way than I obviously did originally, there is a small private courtyard to the rear of the properties, but as you say, there is no 'privacy' of a garden, though it is privately owned!

on street parking is a nightmare so it has certainly...
    15-07-2017, 07:43 AM
    buzzard1994
    the way I read this is that this end of terrace house has a patch of land at the side and then another house, probably the end of a different terrace. Those two houses have amically agreed to use this land, which is half owned by one and half by the other, as a drive.

There is a separate...
    13-07-2017, 20:49 PM
    MisterB
    ok, thanks for the answer, I agree it isn't a big issue, one concern was that as the driveway' surface is 20mm shingle, a motorbike being driven at high revs might kick up stones and cause damage to someone/something. in reality the chances of that happening are pretty much close to zero. my thoughts...
    13-07-2017, 16:58 PM
    pilman
    If it were possible in 1910 for a wheelbarrow to be pushed along the land that was part the property that is now owned by your daughter, there could well be a right for the neighbour with a right of access to drive a motor bike along this land.

When these matters finish up in court there...
    13-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Working...
X