How many new houses can be built from an exisiting private road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many new houses can be built from an exisiting private road

Does anyone know in principle how many new houses planners would allow to be built on land from an existing private road already consisting of 8 houses

many thanks

On new developments there was a limit set for the number of dwellings to be served by a private road that was not to be offered for adoption as a public highway.

In the areas I practised in, that limit was 5.

However thare is no such limit when a private road is already a public highway, which can be the case even when such a road has never been adopted by the local highway authority.

That then means that there is no responsibility for maintenance of that highway on the public purse, although the right of the public to pass and repass along that stretch of road has been proven through long use of the road by the public.

This query relates to a "private" road that already has 8 dwellings accessed from it, but makes no mention of whether the status of the road has already been confirmed as a public highway that is privately maintained by whoever owns the road.

That is why there is no way that a full response can be made to the original query, because privately owned roads can be public highways.

Then it would be the width of the road that will influence a planning decision as to whether any potential development will be granted permission.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful.

The road in question I believe has not been adopted by the local highways as it is the developer of the site (landowner) is responsible for all maintenance. The private road coming off the highway is 5.5metre wide with room for a 2 metre footway to access to the field where potential new homes could be built.The landowner of the land(me) and the landowner of the road would be looking jointly to build the houses but at this stage did not what sort of restrictions there may be in terms of numbers allowed

Thanks again for your help

Comment

The private road coming off the highway is 5.5metre wide with room for a 2 metre footway to access to the field where potential new homes could be built.The landowner of the land(me) and the landowner of the road would be looking jointly to build the houses but at this stage did not what sort of restrictions there may be in terms of numbers allowed
        With a carriageway width of 5.5 metres and sufficient room for an adjacent footpath the road will need to be developed to meet the standards for a highway that can be adopted by the local highway authority.

That aspect of the proposed development wil require a prior agreement regarding the road with the Local HighwayAuthority and then the lay-out of the whole devlopment will need to meet the requirements of the Local Planning Authority regarding residential density acceptable in this particular location.

If the road owner and the landowner are co-operating to create this planning scheme there ought to be no numerical limit, as long as Local Plan policies are considered which often require a higher density in modern times than that previously considered acceptable.

Obviously professional advice from a planning consultant working with a local architect familiar with the LPA's requirements ought to move matters forward, provided the land is included within an area approved for development.

Some agricultural land is still not being accepted for development, so mention of a field would cause some points of concern if this land is not within the area defined for development in a Local Plan policy.

In my area all the towns and villages have a defined development envelope shown on maps. Outside the envelope it is quite difficult to gain planning permissions for any development, as that land is considered to be "open countryside" where development is still heavily curtailed.

Comment

Once again thank you so much for the information. Very helpful.All your comments understood. The land is outside village framework,Grade 2 land and my LPA have no 5 year supply and have already said village boundrys are out of date. Very early in the process so just gathering info in advanced of hiring professionals for advice as you rightly suggest.

thanks again

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X