Freeholder fees for License to Alter request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder fees for License to Alter request

I want to extend the kitchen of my garden flat into the side-return. The flat is leasehold and the First Schedule of the lease outright prohibits alterations such as the ones I'm proposing. So the Landlord wants to charge a fee to give permission for the work and provide a License to Alter. They want to charge £20k + £5k for solicitors & surveyor fees. I've no ideas whether this is reasonable, but it's way beyond what I can afford and represents almost a third of the costs of the building works. Does anyone know what a reasonable fee for a License to Alter is? Thanks!

I think a rule of thumb is 50% of the profit you make by virtue of the place being worth more money, less the cost of the building work. The idea is that you both profit equally from the work.

Comment

Exactly.
      In this specific case, if the FH is asking 20K, and let's imagine there are 20K of work to be done, means that the value added to your property need to be 60K.
      60K-20K (work)=40K added value, and the FH is asking is 50%.
      The solicitor and surveyor 5K seems too much.
      Said that, given the formula above, the FH may accept 10-15K, that is better then nothing if you decide not to proceed.
      Everything is based on negotiation.

Comment

Don't forget that you may be buying ( leaseing ) the ground the extension takes up, included in the price.
        You buy a lease to use rooms in a flat for (say £ 100,000 ) so you buy a lease to lease the extra ground the kitchen takes up.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query, really helpful. I had three estate agents over to give me a valuation on what the flat would be worth after the extension works. They all agreed that the work wouldn't add any value (it would balance out at the cost of the works). As we intend to stay in the flat long-term, this isn't a concern for me - we just want the flat to be a better place to live / entertain. But it makes the formula of benefitting equally from the extra value added challenging to apply in this case! So I've responded to the freeholder and offered £5k - as you say, it's all a negotiation. We'll see how they respond. Certainly at £20k its not affordable. But, as you point out, if they don't negotiate they'll get nothing. Leasehold is a royal pain in the posteria. Suffice to say, I'd never buy a property that is leasehold again!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by AndrewDod
            Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
            If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
            23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
          • Chimney pot gas compliance
            by Perfectgame
            Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
            23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            by JK0
            I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
            23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
            by Interlaken
            What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
            23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
          • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Clulass
            I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
            14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
          • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Interlaken
            CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
            23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
          • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
            14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by leaseholder64
            I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
            18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
            Simon
            18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
          • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
            by MAPTON
            Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
            10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
          Working...
          X