Ridge Beam into Chimney, but Local Authority Building Control Sign it Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridge Beam into Chimney, but Local Authority Building Control Sign it Off

We had loft conversion done, but the bloody builder went and poked the ridge beam through chimney (single brick).

4years later my neighbours were having a log burner installed, and installers noticed RSJ appearing inside their chimney breast.

Its turning into something I don't need to be honest, but I feel so angry why the council signed it off in terms of building control.

While the neighbors and I are trying to work towards an amicable agreement involving remedial works, I would like to understand my legal position given the council (i.e. building control dept), signed off such an obvious breach.

Cheers

Councils employ legal teams to avert such claims but it could be worth a try. You must have a note of who signed it off so contact Building Control and get them out to the site but your builder must take some of the liability too.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

The RSJ can be perfectly correct from a building regs point of view, even if it goes into the next property.
      The inspection is that the work is safe and meets the required standard, not that its satisfactory or what was intended.

It's actually your OP's responsibility to check the work, not the council.
      Not that you, or your neighbour could possibly have spotted it!

The builder is liable, and, if they're not working out, they should be a member of a redress/insurance scheme.
      Or maybe your insurance will cover it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X