freeholder promission Mistake

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    freeholder promission Mistake


    As you will see from my question i am a complete newbie

    I've bought a leasehold flat through Right To Buy. The flat is a 2 bed and has alot of space so I've started turning it into a 3 bedroom flat. I got planning permission from the council and I thought that was all i had to do.

    I letter found out i needed to get permission from the freeholder ( which is the council)

    Has anyone got any advice on what I should do from here as I think when it comes to me selling on the flat I will need to show I had permission?

    You need authorisation from the freeholder to do any structural repairs / alterations.
    Your lease ( read it from front to back ) may also say no alterations of any kind without authorisation.
    you must not carry out the alterations without permission.
    If you do, you could find yourself in court for not conforming to the lease to get permission.

    The work you are doing will need, probably, the freeholder to engage a surveyor to check your plans, and comment on the work. You pay for the freeholders surveyor.

    Even after that, freeholder may still say no.
    The lease may prevent it, disturbance to the residence may prevent it, etc.

    You are renting the flat from the freeholders, it does not belong to you.
    You did not buy the flat, you bought the lease. which allows you to stay in those rooms demised to you for the length of the lease.
    At the end of the lease, you give the flat back, and receive no payment for the lease ( or flat )
    And as a lease can be 20 pages long. that's about £ 7000 per page !
    Any rental in excess of 21 years has to be in the form of a lease.

    Have fun.
    Get permission.


      Ram, telling a newbie poster they are 'renting the flat from the freeholder' is very likely to confuse them. They own the leasehold for amount of years likely in excess of their lifetime, and normally a leaseholder has a mandatory right to extend that lease by 90 years if they feel the lease is getting too short. It would be extremely unlikely for a leaseholder to be giving their flat back at the end of the lease although obviously it can happen in crrtain situations.

      Maybe better to say, as you have purchased a leasehold and not a freehold there are clauses in the lease you must obey, and one will detail seeking permission for structural alterations. No need to try to scare posters.


        Dear fitnessreborn,
        As you have purchased a leasehold and not a freehold there are clauses in the lease you must obey, and one will detail seeking permission for structural alterations, and sometimes for any alterations.

        Because you stated you were a complete newbie, post number 2, last 2 paragraphs is an attempt to explain why you need permission, as you have only leased the flat.
        Very often on here, and outside ( but not too often now ) we see people saying, "but it's my flat, I can do what I want with it, I don't need permission"

        So post 2 it to "bring it home" as to what a leasehold flat is, as far too often we see people that don't understand leasehold.

        Hope you were not too ? scared.



          Just because the Council happens to also be the FH of the property does not mean that you just need to inform one of their departments.

          Planning Consent is granted by the Planning Department this is entirely separate to any other consent you may require irregardless of the party granting that consent.

          You will need to provide to the FH details of your proposals for them to consider.

          You may also require the works to be approved and signed off under the BUilding Regualtions. This can be carried out by the Building Control department of the Council.

          Are you planning any Structural changes? Then there could be liabilities under the Party Wall Act.

          Get your paperwork in order before starting any work.

          Also - READ YOUR LEASE.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

          If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

          Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


            Thanks for the feedback guys.

            I guess want i was really looking for was more a plan of action. I've read through my lease before posting on here and see I've made a big mistake.

            I havent moved any surporting walls in the flat. Just 3 partition walls by 3" each to made more room.

            has anyone every had to get Permission from a council before and may have insight into what the process will be?

            Many thanks


              Permission from the Council for what?

              Plan of action is pretty obvious if you've read the lease. You need to obtain Freeholder's Consent. Apply to the Freeholder for consent. It is irrelevant who the Freeholder is.

              The Lease will set out the procedure for application and the rights and entitlements they (the Freeholder) have.

              There is no 'standard' Lease so without reading the actual lease no one can definately provide advice.

              You can expect to have to pay all the costs associated with making the application. These may include;
              Surveyors fees.
              Legal fees for ammending the lease.
              A Betterment charge.


              Aside from the above, I think you'll still need to apply for Building Regulation consent WHICH IS AN ENTIRELY SEPARATE APPLICATION.
              There is always scope for misinterpretation.

              If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

              Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


              Latest Activity


              • Dispute over boundary land
                by cazamoran
                This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
                Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
                09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
              • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
                by Always Problems
                I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
                09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
              • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
                by AKRS
                Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
                29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
              • Planning permission
                by dizzymill
                I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

                There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
                07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
              • Reply to Planning permission
                by Always Problems
                In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
                09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
              • Reply to Planning permission
                by pilman
                The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

                The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
                08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
              • Reply to Planning permission
                by dizzymill
                Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
                08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
              • Reply to Planning permission
                by Tipper
                It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
                Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

                You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
                08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
              • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
                by Tipper
                No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

                We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
                06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
              • Building Regulations Certificate
                by kennyj52
                Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
                I currently rent out 2 properties and own
                01-05-2020, 12:27 PM