Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder charges for extension

Hi,
    I have asked my freeholder (via their management company) for permission to build a one story extension to my flat - area of the new extension will be approximately 14 square metres.
    I received a reply stating the freeholder was prepared to grant consent based on the following conditions:

1. You must gain full planning consent and building regulation approval. All the costs in respect of same are to be your responsibility.

2. Consent will be provided upon the existing lease being surrendered and a granting of a new one on exactly the same terms with a revised lease plan. The costs of preparation of a new lease plan will be your responsibility.

3. All legal costs involved are to be your responsibility. I assess them to be £750 + VAT.

4. My fees in this matter to be your responsibility which are £450 + VAT.

5. A premium of £2,500 subject to contract is required.

I estimate this to be roughly around £4,500 - does this seem reasonable to you?

thanks

Dan Perkins

It depends where you live.

In London, I think it would be a great deal. In South Wales, dreadful.

You need to consider the extra value of your flat versus the cost of building work plus the £4500. If you are still handsomely in profit, happy days.

Comment

The only bit you have to worry about is the £2500 premium as you would always have to pay the rest.

So £2500 extra, I think I'd be happy with that. It's a lot better than a no.(Assuming you are pretty commited to the idea of an extension.)

Comment

I expect that somewhere in your lease there is a clause entitling the FH to a proportion of the profit of any uplift in value of alterations you make to the demised property. That's where the £2.5k comes from. The clause may state 50% of the value. Read your lease.

Depending where you are would effect the amount.

Simply put. If the extension costs £10k for everything (inc paperwork). If as a reuslt of the works property is worth £20k more then you've made £10k profit. If there was a clause I mentioned above in your lease then the FH would be entitled to half of the £10k profit, so £5k.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

What does your lease say about alterations?

Is the land you want to build on included in the lease?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Development permission over shared access
            by Davidwd
            I have an unusual situation, I live in a property in a private cut de sac of 5 properties. Property No.1 owns the substrate of the driveway and the other 4 properties own the surface and have right of way over the driveway. Property No.1 wants to build another house on their land and use the driveway...
            29-03-2020, 16:56 PM
          • Reply to Development permission over shared access
            by royw
            If they have right of access over the road then yes they can, a house built in the garden also has that right.
            29-03-2020, 21:35 PM
          • Reply to Development permission over shared access
            by pilman
            Depends if the property at No.1 has a right of way granted over the private road.

It would imply that No.1 owned the road but transferred the surface to the other four owners who have responsibility for the maintenance of the surface.

Any decent solicitor would have included...
            29-03-2020, 17:41 PM
          • Chimney pot gas compliance
            by Perfectgame
            Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
            23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
          • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by AndrewDod
            Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
            If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
            23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
            by JK0
            I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
            23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
            by Interlaken
            What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
            23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
          • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Interlaken
            CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
            23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
          • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Clulass
            I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
            14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
          • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
            14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
          Working...
          X