Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasehold Residential Garage conversion

Evening

I have a question about legal right to convert a garage in to residential use without asking the freeholders permission and its potential value??

The property concerned is a residential house with a large 300sqft double length garage underneath; held on a long lease.

If the garage is split in half length-wise and one half (the back part) is incorporated as part of the house instead, as living accommodation - leaving the front half as a single garage for one car - Would the freeholder's permission be needed?
    If carry out the work without asking permission of freeholder, can the freeholder either ask for the garage to be reinstated as a garage or to ask for money for change of use ? Am assuming residential use carries higher £/sqft than garage.
    If so - for prime London location - for apx 150sqft single garage how much would a freeholder potentially ask for change of use? And/or as compensation for the work done by the leaseholder?

Thanks for any advice....

I would assume that such a change would increase the value of the demised property. I would also assume that the lease would contain a clause outlining the FHs entitlement to a share of the uplift in value due to alterations.

Have you read your lease?
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X