Freehold Flat Kitchen Extension into Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold Flat Kitchen Extension into Garden

I own a ground floor flat in a converted property made up of 5 flats. It is Freehold.

There is a large rear garden which is divided up into 5, a section for each property. The boundaries of these sections are clearly marked out in the lease. My section backs directly onto my propertry.

I wanted to explore the possibility of extending my kitchen into my section of the garden. The extension would be approx 10ftx14ft. Single story.

What would be the main obstacles in achieving this? And are there any factors that would make this idea a non-starter?

This of course would be providing that the other four flats agree to the works, in accordance to the Freehold lease.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Liam

Sorry, I am unclear on your ownership.

1. You say you have a lease. I assume you own a leasehold flat (complete with demised garden) , and that you jointly own the freehold with the other leaseholders either through a deed of trust or company.

2. Or do you own a freehold flat, which is a rare beast.

What is confusing me is that you say the other flats need to agree in accordance with the freehold lease, as property is either freehold or it is leasehold.

If ownership is 1. then you might not need all the other flats to agree as there is a ressonable chance majority voting may take place when making landlord/freeholder decisions.

Comment

Apologies for the misleading terminology - Its freehold, 100%!

Many thanks,
      Liam

Comment

You need to explain more fully.

Where does the lease come into things, and why do the other 4 flats have a say on what you do to your own freehold. I am confused by the following.

'This of course would be providing that the other four flats agree to the works, in accordance to the Freehold lease.'

Comment

Speak to an Architect, Surveyor or suitable Technician. As you don't seem to understand the legal standing of your tenure.

Don't speak to a Builder. They will know squat about the paperwork side of things.

Planning, Building Regulations, Freeholder Consent, Party Wall Act, Build Over Agreement are all things that might require formal approval.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X