Paying for vehicle access - what would you pay ?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Paying for vehicle access - what would you pay ?

    I have been approached by a neighbour who is looking to get planning for a bungalow in his garden, will probably get it as other neighbours have done the same.

    His issue is he has no vehicle access, I have a large parking area behind mine which he could cross over (knock the boundary wall down) to gain access.

    My question is what should I ask for money wise, he wont get planning without it. I't bothers me not really. The bungalow would be worth probably 150k.

    Would I be out of order asking for £25k ? I don't want to rob the chap but the build cost of the bungalow would be £50k tops so plenty of profit for him.

    Anyone have similar case ?

    From the sounds of it you've got the trump card in your hand. Don't give it away easily.

    If I were you I'd ask for a 50% share in the profit and draw up an option agreement along those lines, rather than having a fixed price.


      Don't forget about capital gains tax. I believe it kicks in if your garden is over a particular size relative to the house.


        The normal way that such value is calculated is by referring to a case where a judge set out what was to be a reasonable way of valuing a right of way that allowed another area of land to be developed.

        That was Stokes v Cambridge City Council, when the judge decided that between one third and one half of the increased value of the building plot would be a reasonable sum to be demanded by the person who allows the development to proceed.

        e.g. Part of garden valued at £5K as garden land associated with the dwelling.
        Same part of the garden valued at £100K when granted planning permission for a single detached dwelling that incorporated the other land as the only way to access that plot.

        Increase in land value is £95K.
        Payment to owner of land that made this plot possible would be negotiated for as little as possible.

        Peyment required by owner of land that made the plot possible would be negotiated for as much as possible.

        one third is £30K allowing for the costs of planning permission.
        one half is £45K allowing for the costs of planning permission.

        Using a local estate agent to value the potential building plot would be the sensible thing to do before arriving at an acceptable sum to allow the plot to be developed.
        Local knowledge is important because the price of building plots fluctuates so much in different area of the country, but it is the increased value of the plot that is used, rather than the value of a finished building that would have cost rather more in building costs to be completed.

        Seeking a payment of one third of that price would be more greedy than is normal in such situations, as the cost and effort of building the house would not then have been taken into account.


          Remember though that, unlike the case you mentioned (which covered compulsory purchase by a council), the OP in this case here is under no obligation whatsoever to part with their property. So anything a judge dreamt up under reasonableness is not necessarily what the OP needs to base his/her decision on.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by AndrewDod
            Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
            If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

            In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
            23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
          • Chimney pot gas compliance
            by Perfectgame
            Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
            23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
          • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by JK0
            I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
            23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
          • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by Interlaken
            What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
            23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
          • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Clulass
            I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

            So to my question:

            Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
            14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
          • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Interlaken
            CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
            23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
          • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hi all

            First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
            14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by leaseholder64
            I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

            If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
            18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88

            Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

            18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
          • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
            by MAPTON
            Not sure which section I should post this question!

            A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
            10-03-2020, 15:53 PM