Window Regs Issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Window Regs Issues


    We are currently working on a flat that needs some work to get it up to building reg standards for letting out.

    The flat is normal ground floor Victorian layout. The previous owner stuck a skinny side return on the flat and put a kitchen in there. Which it did need as the space is quite small . However, this meant he bricked up the window to the room behind (a bedroom) and then put a much smaller window, high up that opens above the roof of the side return. (otherwise the original window just looked straight in to the side return).

    Regs. NATURAL LIGHTING 1. All habitable rooms shall be provided with an area of clear glazing situated in either a window and/or a door, opening to the external air, equivalent in total area to at least 1/10th of the floor area of the room.

    Problem is that that new window is not 1/10 of the floor space of the room as per requirements. Other problem is that we can’t make the window much bigger.

    What we can do is reinstate the original window to make it meet 1/10 of the floor space, and make it frosted/opaque glass, looking into the side return (can even open if it needs to), also keeping the top window (making it slightly bigger) and continues to open to natural air above the side return roof. The bottom main window would just have light from inside the side return.

    However, not sure if the councils would accept the window not 100% opening to the natural air?

    The bedroom door is about 1m from the flat entrance door which leads into the communal hall with access to the outside (front of the house).

    Has anyone had experience with something like this, and do you think the council would be ok with this?

    The other option which is much more problematic seems to be to cut the side return short and add a light well so that the full length of the window opens to the light well opening. As per link (see Courtyard), although ours would have to be a much smaller lightwell

    Why don't you just ask the building inspector? Sometimes they may make a concession if you are really stuck.

    Freedom at the point of zero............


      Is fresh air or natural daylight the main concern?

      Were the previous works signed off by Building Control and given consent by the Planning Department?

      If they were then I don't see the necessity for changing them - if Building Control start asking for these items to be changed then my first question would be 'Why were they previously approved?' and my second would be 'When did the regulations change making this unacceptable'.

      I'm not a great fan of Building Control not standing by their previous decisions to accept solutions to site specific problems.

      Fresh air can be readily provided by a low volume constant fresh air fan or heat recovery unit.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

      If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

      Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Access to new development via private road
        by rc1234
        Thank you for your replies to my post.

        In regards to the farmer’s access - he has had access for approx 30 years via the private section of road in order to get to and from the farm/house which are the only things at the end of the farm track.

        To describe the route - a vehicle...
        08-04-2020, 22:09 PM
      • Access to new development via private road
        by rc1234

        I live on a street with 46 houses cul-de-sac. it is a private road - The land/road etc is owned by a the maintenance company made up pf residents, of which all of the households pay into for the upkeep and own 1/46th of the land each.

        The private track/road running behind...
        03-04-2020, 11:51 AM
      • Loft Adverse Possession or else?
        by johnlondon2
        Hello there!

        I hope you're doing good in these uncertain times.

        I bought a leasehold top floor flat three years ago that has easy access (ladder that comes down and a big hatch) and has been put good by the previous owner which installed some lights up there and boarded...
        08-04-2020, 16:55 PM
      • Reply to Loft Adverse Possession or else?
        by Lawcruncher
        You cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord. However, the loft may be included in your lease. Read this thread and come back with any questions:
        08-04-2020, 21:56 PM
      • Reply to Loft Adverse Possession or else?
        by ram
        The loft space is not yours to use.
        The lease tells you what you DO own or is your demise. it does not go through everything that is NOT yours.
        Your lease clearly states you are leasing the rooms in the flat, and are responsible for those rooms, up to the ceiling, and not beyond. It tells
        08-04-2020, 20:32 PM
      • Reply to Access to new development via private road
        by Lawcruncher
        There are several aspect to this.

        Before incurring any expense or trouble, you need to establish that the road is indeed private, and not a public highway not maintainable at public expense. From the limited information you have supplied it sounds private, but the devil can be in the detail....
        08-04-2020, 15:00 PM
      • Selling land to family
        by Jane S
        Hello everyone,

        I have a question that's entered my mind recently and would like some advice to point me in the right direction, I hope someone may be able to help.

        I have a grade 2 listed cottage on around 0.4 acre, with an old barn thats about to fall down on the side. There...
        07-04-2020, 16:44 PM
      • Reply to Selling land to family
        by pilman
        As an afterthought to my previous posting, the land within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse, even if it is a listed building, has permitted development rights that allow hard surfaces to be created and a new means of access to a highway created.
        That would mean that certain work could be undertaken...
        08-04-2020, 11:13 AM
      • Reply to Selling land to family
        by pilman
        If the whole area of land that you own is land associated with your main residence then selling off part of that land does not result in any capital gains tax liability because of Principal Private Residence relief (PPR).

        If you agree to sell it to your son without the benefit of planning...
        08-04-2020, 10:48 AM
      • Reply to Selling land to family
        by Tipper
        Just agree a price and instruct a solicitor.

        You may get involved with capital gains tax though and he may not get planning permission.
        07-04-2020, 18:21 PM