bathroom fuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bathroom fuss

Hi all. I am wanting to strip out my bathroom to bear brick. Re plaster move surface mounted pipework to under floorboards. Re fit suite and tile. My local council (lincolnshire) on there web site is saying i need planning and building control involved unless done by someone under the competant persons scheme. Is this correct. Maybe thinking of selling the house within the next year so need to things so it doesnt cause compications where on the market. Thanks

Councils are desperate to make a buck out of any unfortunate who comes across their website. No doubt there will be a nice fat fee for the council's services. Don't go there.

I am sure you would not be taking on this work unless you felt competent in doing it or you would get a tradesman in to perfect your pride and joy property. Thousands of DIYers do up their bathrooms every year without all that fuss and sell their houses without incident.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

If you change electricity or gas pipework then this needs to be signed off (not necessarily done) by a competent scheme contractor.

If you don't then you can do this yourself.

Comment

erm - does anyone changing their bathroom actually inform the council? Same with kitchens etc. Get on with it and worry not!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Nooo! I don't think anybody actually informs the council. Plus who would complain about improving the house? Go ahead I think its a green light.

Comment

As above any gas or electric alterations would need to be carried out and certified by a registered installer. The electrics could be done by a non-registered person but Building COntrol would need to check and sign off the work. Easier to get a certified installer. If you're altering the drainage significantly then this would need Building Regs approval to.

Is this a flat? Is there a flat below? If so then you'll need to either maintain fire compartmentation and sound insulation or provide it as part of the work.

Bare brickwork? Render over it, don't plaster. Stud walls? Use cement board instead of plasterboard.

Unless you're adding a window or increasing the size of an existing one then I don't see what Planning Consent is required.
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney pot gas compliance
              by Perfectgame
              Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
              23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by AndrewDod
              Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
              If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
              23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
              by JK0
              I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
              23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
              by Interlaken
              What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
              23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
            • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Clulass
              I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
              14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
            • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Interlaken
              CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
              23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
            • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88
              Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
              14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
            • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by leaseholder64
              I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
              18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
            • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88
              Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
              Simon
              18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
            • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
              by MAPTON
              Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
              10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
            Working...
            X