Do I need a planning permission for a 10-sqm built room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a planning permission for a 10-sqm built room?

Dear All.

I have purchased a small 10-sqm freehold small property, which was named as building on the auction website, it is situated in Croydon in Thornton Heath, but it is kind of a room or something. I am hoping that I can build a bedsit or studio flat which I can rent and get something out of it. I have not done this before and I do not know from where to start.

The opposite property to this is a house and there are few other houses. It's a rear of Broughton Road.

I have called Croydon council and they have asked me to login to the planning portal and come for a meeting and there is a fee of £750. Unfortunately, the planning permission website is hard to find the address even with the correct number used and postcode and I am not sure what to do.

My main questions are:

a). If I can use a 10-sqm building/room to build a studio flat or possibly a bedsit or a student-unit that I can rent as rents are quite good in this area.

b). If anyone had the same kind of experience and may advice on what should I do please.

c). If you guys know anyone that I can pay some fee who can help me obtain the planning consent and help with the paper-work.

I welcome all helpful information and advice and if you need any information from my side before you can answer, please do not hesitate to ask.

PS- I have only paid a deposit to auction company i.e. Barnard Marcus and either solicitors (mine and the seller) had not exchanged the paper work and keys yet.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards
    Luq

Do you mean you have bought a plot of land that is ten square metres in area or a plot of land that is ten metres by ten metres?

If it is ten square metres then that is not sufficient in size for a habitable building. That is it is too small.

Or do you mean you have bought a section of a building. In which case, it's still too small for a habitable, self contained unit. Its not big enough for a garage.

I drove past the road this morning funnily enough.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

I think you may have bought a public toilet without noticing...

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your email. It is actually a small 10-sqm building (in my opinion it was previously either a garage or shed) which was converted into this small 10-sqm unit. It is a free hold property and it is rear of 73-Broughton Road.

I am just hoping that i can possibly get a planning consent if i really need one and convert it into a small student-unit or bedsit or possibly a studio flat. I think, 10sqm is good enough space if I can build or may obtain a planning consent for a split level unit? The house that faces this unit is actually built on 2 levels too?

I want to know, if i really need a planning consent?
        if someone could kindly recommend me a company which can act on my behalf to get me an appropriate planning consent if i really need one
        and If i can utilise this place for residential purposes?

Good advice and help will be really appreciated.

Comment

Hi Matt, Thats definitely not a public toilet and had it been the case, it should have been written in the legal pack. But thanks for your valued comment. I highly appreciate that.

Comment

You would need Planning Consent to convert it into a residential unit.

10 square metres is not large enough for a self contained residential unit so that consent would not be forthcoming. It's not large enough for a garage.

If you wish to persue this then spend the £750 the council asked for on getting Professional advice from a local Surveyor or Architect that deal with residential properties. I can prepare and submit an application for around that if that was your instruction.

Added to that, this wouldn't be a conversion. IF planning was granted, it would be easier to knock it down and start again rather than trying to adapt what was there to cmply with the Buidling Regulations.

Personally, having looked at it on Google's satelite photos, you'd be better off making it weather tight, fitting a decent garage door and renting it as a garage. You may get £50 a month for a basic garage without utilities.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Comment

Hi,

Since you seem very experienced in this area of practise, I would ask if there is a) or any) slim chance to get a residential small unit approval? If let's say that do not give the consent would i be able to use it as an office (as long as i do not make noises or disturb others) and if the above both options do not work, then do I still have to get the planning consent to change it to garage or just get a garage door installed?

Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

I can't be any clearer that 10sqm is too small for a self contained residential unit. If it has been sold to you on the basis that it is large enough then you've been misled. Any building on the site would need to be at least three stories high, possibly four if the staircase takes up too much room. Given the close proximity of the other properties this is going to be difficult.

Does the building have its own power and water supply? How has it been sold? What is the current Planning situation? How do you access the site? Are any of these questions answered in the sale particulars?

I suspect that someone has [poorly] converted their garage into a home office and now decided to flog it off.

Converting it back to and using it as a garage should incurr no Planning problems as it is likely to be classified as a garage.

I hope you haven't paid too much for it.

Comment

Originally posted by luqman View Post
                  Hi Matt, Thats definitely not a public toilet and had it been the case, it should have been written in the legal pack. But thanks for your valued comment. I highly appreciate that.
                  I was mainly making a joke - but looks like my humour isn't to everybody's taste

Good luck with your plans though. I hope you'll never have to even consider living in a 10sqm unit yourself.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning permission
                    by dizzymill
                    I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
                    07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
                  • Reply to Planning permission
                    by pilman
                    The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
                    08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
                    by dizzymill
                    Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
                    08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
                    by Tipper
                    It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
                    Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
                    08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
                  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
                    by Tipper
                    No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
                    06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
                  • Building Regulations Certificate
                    by kennyj52
                    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
                    I currently rent out 2 properties and own
                    01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
                  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
                    by kennyj52
                    Thanks for the advice all. I've had 2 boilers replaced by different installers over the last 6 years, but not received a Building Regulations Certificate from either one. I didn't ask the installers about it at the time as I was unaware of the need. Although they did provide Gas Safe Reports as requested,...
                    05-07-2020, 12:27 PM
                  • Licence To Alter, Supplemental Lease and Deed of Variation Costs
                    by nushandphil
                    Hi There,

I live in a share of freehold ground floor flat (1 of 4 flats, 2 ground floor, 2 first) within a converted Victorian house and am looking to do a 3.5m extension into the garden. The garden is shared between the 2 ground floor flats and split down the middle by a fence. Each ground...
                    03-07-2020, 10:34 AM
                  • Reply to Licence To Alter, Supplemental Lease and Deed of Variation Costs
                    by Lawcruncher
                    This transaction only needs one document, a lease. A skeleton of the clauses needed:

·A demise of the additional land
                    ·A statement that the terms of the lease are (mutatis mutandis) the same as the OP's lease except as expressly provided in the next clause
                    ·Set out...
                    04-07-2020, 20:08 PM
                  • Reply to Licence To Alter, Supplemental Lease and Deed of Variation Costs
                    by nushandphil
                    Thank you for all your responses, good to know this is on the high side and we should be able to save some money. Do you have any advice on indicative costs (appreciate this might be a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question). I've already messaged a few other solicitors.

04-07-2020, 10:12 AM
                  Working...
                  X