Converting spare lounge into self contained studio for renting - Advice required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting spare lounge into self contained studio for renting - Advice required.

Hi All,

Newbie here and wondering if you experts can help.

I recently purchased a house and did a massive renovation. However now the other half and I have been thinking of renting out the spare lounge as we dont have any plans for using it for the foreseeable future and could do with the extra income. If we as a family grow in 10 years then i would like to put back to a lounge.

We dont want to be living with someone else, sharing bathroom kitchen etc.

What do i need to do to put a small bathroom and kitchen in the lounge. The lounge also has an external wall which is to the side of the property and therefore ideally would like to put a external door to the side so that whoever rents can use for entering and leaving the property.

I would rent out with all bills included, including council tax.

Please let me know if you need any further details so that you can help me with which options i have and how i can proceed with each of them.

Thanks
    Alps

You would need planning permission to create an extra dwelling...Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter. Would an "extra dwelling" consist of separate electricity, council tax, door number? etc. I dont really want to create an extra dwelling if i can avoid.

just want to rent a room which is self contained so that i can keep my living personal.

If i have to create an extra dwelling then what is required apart from planning permission? what do the local planning look for? do they normally accept the creation of an an extra dwelling? Costs involved apart from the building modifications?

Thanks in advance for all the advice and help.

Comment

buidling regs?
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

yes that would be after planning. for now trying to work out what my options are with what i am trying to.

dont really want to go down the separate dwelling route if i can.

Comment

sorry I meant that there are rules about where bathrooms/toilets can be I think so the room would have to comply with all of those.
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Hi would i still need planning permission if i installed an ensuite and a little kitchen area which includes an electric cooker in my front downstairs lounge? I would then rent out the room as a spare room... I understand i would need building control Anything else i need to be aware off? Sorry really lost with this and my local council dont have any information.

Thanks
              Alps

Comment

I think you would need planning as tenant would be accessing via their own front door. However dare I say the council wouldn't be expecting planning for something they were not aware of especially as you would only be retaining 1 electric and gas supply and could revert easily.
                Be aware you would have a tenant and not a lodger as you would not have any shared living accomodation and this would involve raising an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement with all the extra laws involved.
                Perhaps think about installing ensuite and share the kitchen. Here you would have only a lodger with far fewer legalities involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Alps1979 View Post
                  including council tax.
                  For the set-up you describe, this would be fraudulent. Your own house would need to be reassessed (may go down a band if you are lucky) and the other property would presumably be Band A.

Comment

What you really want is to take on a lodger inside your own home but you want this accommodation to be 'self-contained' for them. The housing act sucks as it was written people who have no understand of the real word.

From my understanding, Your lodger would have to live as part of your household and most likely be sharing part of your house e.g. lounge, kitchen and/or bathroom etc..

However, if you want that self-contained accommodation, then effectively what you are doing is converting your house into flats. Effectively this would be a small studio flat and one big flat with say 2/3/4 bedroom where you would live. Would the council allow it, is uncertain?. You have to look at the local planning policy, as each local authority as its own rules. You might come across minimum size issues for your studio flat.... Also, you neighbours may object to the planning application. The cost of conversion is in 5 figures. If it self-contained you would need to pay tax on rental income, where as if it is a lodger, you could claim the first £4000(?) as tax free.

May be you need to think about the 'right' lodger. Someone who does not cook, eats out. Just needs may be tea / coffee / toaster, mini fridge, microwave facilities. But you can't deny them using your kitchen.

With a lodger, you can ask the to vacate in one week, but with a tenant in a self-contained accommodation it is months....

Personally, I think you could rent out your spare lounge, to someone who needs storage space (just make sure they are not storing drugs or anything illegal). You make a contract. You might not get as much as renting to person, but by the time you add the cost of converting your lounge. You might be just as better as renting as storage.

Comment

Just to confirm the house is freehold? Otherwise you will likely need the consent of the freeholder.

Comment

Apologies for the delayed response. been away and busy with other commitments.

yes it is freehold.

if i built a conservatory on the side which both had access to and shared the washing machine then i suppose this would then be ok.... or not?

Comment

I know someone...wink wink, who has converted a garage into a self contained studio flat with a separate entrance, with planning permission etc.

The trick is to install a door in between the studio flat and your property.

This way, in the planning officers eyes your dwelling isn't separated from the studio.

Once you have a tenant, you simply lock the separating door

Comment

Thank you. The Door between the room the passage way would stay. I wouls install a new door on the opposite wall which is an external wall. I am thinking if I also install a conservatory where the new door would be and we shared this conservatory then this would be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Alps1979 View Post
                              if I also install a conservatory where the new door would be and we shared this conservatory then this would be ok?
                              Conservatories are all glass, as you know, and takes a lot to heat them. Are you going to ask tenant to pay half the heating bills ?
                              Conservatories with a full view from all the houses surrounding the property, through massive amounts of see through walls, and ceilings, is not my idea of fun or expected privicy rights.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X