Converting My Property into 2 residential lets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting My Property into 2 residential lets

Hi I hope someone could kindly advise...

I own a 3 floor Edwardian house and am looking at converting the basement floor into a one bedroom self contained flat for a residential let.
    The remaining 2 floors I am also looking to rent as a 3 bed residential let. I am looking to use some equity from the house to purchase another
    property whilst using the income from the rent to cover my buy to let mortgage. Therefore I would like to know the following

What is the best way to achieve this in terms of obtaining the right mortgage?

What are the legal obligations?

What's the best way to meter the electric and gas usage for each tenant (currently the gas boiler is in the basement)

Any other advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Ross

Presuming it is currently one dwelling, you will need full planning permission before you convert the basement.

You will also need to satisfy building regulations in particular with respect to sound insulation - special acoustic ceiling and floor construction - and fire escape routes. Location of the bedroom woth respect to the kitchen and the escape route can also be tricky if there are no escape doorsw/indows at the back of the basement.

You should separate the utilities which can cost as some suppliers are expensive.

You may also need to provide a parking space, bike space and outdoor 'amenity area'.

Oh and don't forget the bin store!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Restrictive Covenants Freehold
      by comm1985
      Hello all

We are in the process of purchasing a freehold, and have been informed of restrictive covenants from a previous conveyancing in the 1950s as follows

"The plans and elevations of any private dwelling house and outbuildings intended to be erected on the plot shall...
      18-01-2022, 18:32 PM
    • Reply to Restrictive Covenants Freehold
      by Lawcruncher
      As to 1, my initial impression was that the intention was that the covenant should only extend to when the house was first built. However, we have to go by the wording. The first question is whether an extension is (a) a dwelling house and outbuilding, or (b) a dwelling house, or (c) an outbuilding....
      19-01-2022, 09:13 AM
      by comm1985
      They suggested indemnity insurance

But I wanted to understand

1. How restrictive the wording is? (to me it sounds like it only applies to a brand new dwelling and not an extension, but I may be mistaken)

2. How effective an indemnity policy actually is, especially...
      18-01-2022, 19:30 PM
      by Neelix
      What has your solicitor said?
      18-01-2022, 18:45 PM
    • Reply to Planning Permission
      by Trevor62
      Thanks Pillman, I guess I will engage with my surveyor to walk me through the conditions to gain perpetuity. Because the developement is close to a semi busy road conditions 7 & 8 are welcomed, to be sure that the building does not suffer from vibrations or excesive noise.

Many Tha...
      17-01-2022, 21:01 PM
    • Planning Permission
      by Trevor62
      Just over a year ago I was granted planning permission to build a 2 storey detached house in my side garden. Their is a restrictive covenant on what I can build in the side garden so I have had to make an application to the upper lands tribunal to have the restiction either modified or removed....
      12-01-2022, 21:38 PM
      by pilman
      No, that was not what was being stated.

You have to comply with the pre-development conditions before digging a single trench will accomplish the practical start of the development.

Only then will that work be lawful as the start of operational development, which would...
      17-01-2022, 11:55 AM
      by Trevor62
      Hi pilman

So you are saying if I submit No.7 I could make the existing application valid in perpetuity?

I have emailed Planning Officer Regeneration and Planning Services and their reply:

The only way to extend a planning application is to re-apply, the application...
      16-01-2022, 21:35 PM
      by pilman
      That appears to be the first pre-construction condition, which requires an extremely high level of compliance.
      As does the second pre-construction condition.

Seeing those conditions make me glad I retired as a property developer before matters became so complicated.
      16-01-2022, 11:54 AM
      by Piffy
      A thought, when you say there is a Restrictive Covenant, I always wonder if its enforceable in that if the people who originally set the Restrictive Covenant no longer exist, who is there that would pay a firm of solicitors to take action for not observing the covenant.
      (IThere is a Private Road...
      16-01-2022, 09:27 AM
    Working...
    X