Class J planning application questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class J planning application questions

Since May 2013 the government has created a class J, which effectively puts a change of use from B1 to C3 into permitted development.

I have a 56sqm storage unit in Woolwich that I would like to apply for change of use on. A few questions for those knowledgable members of this forum...

1. The unit in question is unclassified but its use now is storage and could be light industrial. It is a very large garage/mini warehouse. Can I make an application for this property even though it has no current classification?

2. I have no plans at the moment to make it into a residential dwelling - no plans, drawings, or specific details as to what living space will be inside it. Does this matter? Can I just apply and then once the classification has changed make changes to the building, for example adding skylights into the roof?

3. If I get the change of use from the council, is there any reason why I can't continue to use it as a storage facility? Council tax will be nil because it will be an unoccupied dwelling.

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks all,

Charlie

Honestly, I don't think any council in its right mind would let you turn that into a house.

Comment

Thanks for your helpful comment. That garage is 56sqm in floor space, 4m high at the front rising to 6m at the back. It is a perfect live work unit or bijou 1 bed living space. Creativity and vision, and some semi-industrial design work will make it work perfectly. Don't knock it.

The door that you can see is 2m high, so the garage is deceptively big.

Charlie

Comment

Well, today I answered my own question with a long call to Greenwich's planning team. Class J applications are for Class B1 (a) change to Class C3 use. Class B1 (a) is purely office use, not light industrial. And the change of use is only applicable to buildings which were in B1 (a) use prior to May 2013.

Charlie

Comment

Your garage must be B1(a) offices for it to be permitted dev, which it doesn't look like?? Please come back to me if any different...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X