Class J planning application questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class J planning application questions

Since May 2013 the government has created a class J, which effectively puts a change of use from B1 to C3 into permitted development.

I have a 56sqm storage unit in Woolwich that I would like to apply for change of use on. A few questions for those knowledgable members of this forum...

1. The unit in question is unclassified but its use now is storage and could be light industrial. It is a very large garage/mini warehouse. Can I make an application for this property even though it has no current classification?

2. I have no plans at the moment to make it into a residential dwelling - no plans, drawings, or specific details as to what living space will be inside it. Does this matter? Can I just apply and then once the classification has changed make changes to the building, for example adding skylights into the roof?

3. If I get the change of use from the council, is there any reason why I can't continue to use it as a storage facility? Council tax will be nil because it will be an unoccupied dwelling.

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks all,

Charlie

Honestly, I don't think any council in its right mind would let you turn that into a house.

Comment

Thanks for your helpful comment. That garage is 56sqm in floor space, 4m high at the front rising to 6m at the back. It is a perfect live work unit or bijou 1 bed living space. Creativity and vision, and some semi-industrial design work will make it work perfectly. Don't knock it.

The door that you can see is 2m high, so the garage is deceptively big.

Charlie

Comment

Well, today I answered my own question with a long call to Greenwich's planning team. Class J applications are for Class B1 (a) change to Class C3 use. Class B1 (a) is purely office use, not light industrial. And the change of use is only applicable to buildings which were in B1 (a) use prior to May 2013.

Charlie

Comment

Your garage must be B1(a) offices for it to be permitted dev, which it doesn't look like?? Please come back to me if any different...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by AndrewDod
            Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
            If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
            23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
          • Chimney pot gas compliance
            by Perfectgame
            Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
            23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            by JK0
            I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
            23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
            by Interlaken
            What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
            23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
          • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Clulass
            I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
            14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
          • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Interlaken
            CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
            23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
          • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
            14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by leaseholder64
            I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
            18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
            Simon
            18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
          • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
            by MAPTON
            Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
            10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
          Working...
          X