Replace fixed obscured windows to clear and/or opening window - Permitted dev?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace fixed obscured windows to clear and/or opening window - Permitted dev?

Can a neighbor replace fixed obscured windows to clear and/or opening window under permitted development or without planning permission?
    We have recently bought a detached bungalow and our neighbors (detached bungalow) had two fixed obscured windows (their living room) on the side and they are planning to replace it with clear opening windows on the side facing which overlooks kitchen and a bedroom. We came to know this while they were chatting to us and mentioned between them. We thought it is a strange way of asking us, perhaps trying to gauge our reaction!? We are not happy with the plans. The space between two bungalow is 2.8 meter approx ( 2 meter ours and 0.8 theirs).
    I was trying to find similar question on the net in relation to ground floor window but found none. All I found was information related to upper floor and new extension should have 11 meter gap in order to have side windows. None was related to replace fixed non opening windows to clear and/or opening window on the ground floor.
    Our questions:-
    Can a neighbor insert clear and/ or opening window under permitted development on the ground floor?
    We would like to understand our options if replaced it with clear opening window without planning?
    Does anyone had similar experience and/or information that can help to understand the options.

Advance thanks for your inputs.

Tell neighbour you will plant a dense holly hedge if he does.

Comment

Originally posted by hi4 View Post
      Can a neighbour replace fixed obscured windows to clear and/or opening window under permitted development or without planning permission?

When this property first got planning consent was any mention made in the conditions of the windows having to have obscured glass? Time to investigate at your local planning office.

If not it is entirely up to the householder as to what to do. I assume this is not 'alterations to front elevation'?

A few years ago some LA's were trying to get householders to apply for consent for DG windows - a method of revenue creation I suspect but the practice seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I like the idea of the giant holly hedge

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Development permission over shared access
        by Davidwd
        I have an unusual situation, I live in a property in a private cut de sac of 5 properties. Property No.1 owns the substrate of the driveway and the other 4 properties own the surface and have right of way over the driveway. Property No.1 wants to build another house on their land and use the driveway...
        29-03-2020, 16:56 PM
      • Reply to Development permission over shared access
        by royw
        If they have right of access over the road then yes they can, a house built in the garden also has that right.
        29-03-2020, 21:35 PM
      • Reply to Development permission over shared access
        by pilman
        Depends if the property at No.1 has a right of way granted over the private road.

It would imply that No.1 owned the road but transferred the surface to the other four owners who have responsibility for the maintenance of the surface.

Any decent solicitor would have included...
        29-03-2020, 17:41 PM
      • Chimney pot gas compliance
        by Perfectgame
        Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
        23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
      • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
        by AndrewDod
        Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
        If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
        23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
        by JK0
        I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
        23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
        by Interlaken
        What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
        23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
      • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
        by Clulass
        I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
        14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
      • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
        by Interlaken
        CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
        23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
      • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
        by slix_88
        Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
        14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
      Working...
      X