overflow pipes drenching our patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overflow pipes drenching our patio

not sure if this is totally the right forum for this but I have received excellent advice from here in the past so I thought I'd give it a try...

we have purchased a ground floor leasehold flat in a council block. The overflow pipes from the two flats above us have been dripping into our patio for the last couple of years. Having contacted the council, they said we need to ask the people in the flats to fix their plumbing. The people said they would but they didn't and obviously won't.

In desperation we have redirected the overflows into the water drain. The neighbour, who has always been hostile, has complained to them. The council are now saying that we must re-instate to allow the overflow to drip into our patio again.

Surely it is not legal for our patio to be used as a place to dump other peoples excess water coming from faulty plumbing they refuse to fix. Even if their plumbing wasn't at fault I would still object to having, even the risk of having water come into our patio.

It's a comical situation, we could be outside sitting having a meal on the patio and suddenly receive a good soaking from above, anytime without warning and from several pipes in different locations. Our patio is very narrow so are forced to stay relatively close to the walls at all times...

Thanks in advance.

David =p

No, wrong forum.... where should he post anyone??

PETER

Comment

Originally posted by pdk View Post
      No, wrong forum.... where should he post anyone??

PETER
      Long leasehold or Conveyancing.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning help
        by bubble
        Hi all

I just want to get some help on some planning issues. An architect mentioned that planning wasn’t required for an outbuilding and would come under permitted development. I had some friend of friend builders who helped with the build and lets say took it upon themselves to add water/toilet...
        18-11-2019, 22:23 PM
      • Reply to Planning help
        by leaseholder64
        I'd certainly expect this to sound the "beds in sheds rogue landlord" alarm with the council.

Do you live in the main property? If so, why did you not notice the water supply being laid?

If not, the beds in sheds alarm probably just increased in volume.
        19-11-2019, 15:19 PM
      • Reply to Planning help
        by ram
        1. What was the neighbours complaint ?
        2. Was it that you just had an outbuilding ?
        3. Was it that it was a few millimetres over size ?
        4. Was it that you had put a residential building up that was clearly residential, as it had water/toilet facilities AND a bathroom.
        Certainly not an outbuilding if it...
        19-11-2019, 12:36 PM
      • Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
        by LondonResident
        I’m a first time poster on the site and couldn’t see anything that relates specifically to this topic, although various forums around the subject.

I would like to do a loft conversion on our flat and the co-freehold owner has refused consent so we want to see if there is anything we...
        04-11-2018, 10:26 AM
      • Reply to Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
        by ram
        LondonResident has not logged on exactly a year ago tomorrow, so don't expect a reply.

Any new questions on lofts should start a new thread, as not all leases and circumstances are the same.
        14-11-2019, 19:05 PM
      • Reply to Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
        by kennyj52
        Did your co-freeholder give you any grounds for refusing consent? I am also a co-freeholder and have refused consent for a loft conversion which was requested by my other co-freeholders. My main ground for refusing is that I don't trust one of the co-freeholders - is that unreasonable?
        10-11-2019, 18:33 PM
      • Reply to Splitting detached house into 2 residencies
        by keentobuild
        Thanks,

I know its a lousy plan, I was just hoping I could have some knowledge behind me in helping inform him that it is exactly that.

Thanks for the info on planning time frames, this should steady him down.
        31-10-2019, 10:57 AM
      • Splitting detached house into 2 residencies
        by keentobuild
        Hi all,

My father-in-law is currently considering splitting his house into 2 flats, either to rent one to help with income during retirement or sell to release capital from his property.

He is sadly suffering with Alzheimer's disease and doesn't really know the implications...
        19-10-2019, 18:04 PM
      • Laying services over unowned road
        by Charles Smith 007
        I have a planning permission to build some houses. The lower section of the road that they are on has no registered owners and our checks against the title deeds for the properties it goes past, the council land ownership and historic manorial ownerships have confirmed no record of ownership. The solicitor...
        18-09-2019, 19:52 PM
      • Reply to Laying services over unowned road
        by pilman
        The rebuttable legal presumption " ad medium filum viae" is that an owner with land adjoining a road owns up to the mid point of the road unless it is a public highway maintainable at the public expense when the Highway Authority will own the surface and a short distance below the surface....
        29-10-2019, 15:27 PM
      Working...
      X