Advice Sought On Conversion Of Own Home Into 2 Flats

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Advice Sought On Conversion Of Own Home Into 2 Flats

    Hello folks
    My first post so please be kind....would like to say huge thanks for the info I have already gleaned reading through the posts but would like some feedback on my intended conversion

    I live alone in a 3 bed semi ex local authority house in a tiny village which is very rural. I need to increase my income as my business is struggling and my mortgage of 45k is currently on interest only so I have been advertising for a lodger without success, believe its just too far out in the sticks

    I am a huge fan of small homes (less running costs etc) and have decided (subject to PP) to convert upstairs into a sc 2 bed room flat, and I will live downstairs

    The layout means that structural work will be limited, close off downstairs hall to create separate access to flat upstairs, new kitchen upstairs and new shower downstairs (already have wc downstairs) soundproofing, new boiler for gas upstairs etc, will I need fire doors, escape route etc? and will this be classed as a HMO? I intend letting the flat as one home

    I have made an initial enquiry to LA regarding the PP, spoken to the utilities about costs of splitting water, electric and gas...will speak to my neighbours to check their views, parking is not a problem for another 2 cars....

    BUT I am already thinking the costs will be prohibitive, water board are quoting 2k+ think Western Power will also be a huge bill....
    The expected annual rental is approx only £4.5k pa (poor area of Wales) so the spend needs to reflect that, particularly as I will be borrowing about 6k (in a friends name as my income is too low to get a loan) and using my small savings of 3.5k....can anyone suggest any ideas for reducing costs or anything else that might work better?
    Bit of a long winded post so thanks for bearing with me....kind regards

    You don't say what the planners had to say on the matter?

    Apart from the utilities metering requirements your biggest and costly problem will be sound/fire proofing ceiling /floor to upstairs. Most local authorities conduct a test to see if it meets their spec.

    No your plan does not create an HMO and separate fire escape not necessary but recommend upstairs windows have casement openers for easy escape.

    From what you write it is not worth doing IMO.

    Freedom at the point of zero............


      Originally posted by shwmae View Post
      my business is struggling
      What you SHOULD be saying is : - How do I increase my target customers to increase my income in my business.

      NEVER, NEVER plough money into a failing or decreasing demand business - - never.

      As your business is at least £ 5000 short of making a profit, get help on your business as that's where the problem is.
      Spending money on a conversion to prop up your business is financial suicide.

      Just get a lodger, stick him in the spare bedroom with use of the rest of the house, but still see a specialist on your business matters.


        thanks for the info....planners have not confirmed either way...this is very much in the early stages so I made an informal request for their views on it, they reckon to get back to me within a week or so..appreciate your time...


          Ram thanks but it seems as if I did'nt explain the situation clearly enough, I cannot find a female lodger and for security issues a male lodger is not worth the worry, have a male tenant however is completely different....and thanks for the business advice but that is not what I seek....


            As said above meeting the building regs will be expensive primarily due to the cost of soundproofing the floor/ceiling. I would estimate about £4-5k for that alone.

            You will also need to rewire and split the plumbing/gas supplies, etc. all this costs money in addition to the utilities costs you have identified.

            It could cost you £15k upwards to do the job completely.


              Thanks Tipper, I had a chat with a builder last night who said the same regarding the sound proofing, its all good info and thanks for taking the time...kind regards


              Latest Activity


              • Reply to Access to new development via private road
                by rc1234
                Thank you for your replies to my post.

                In regards to the farmer’s access - he has had access for approx 30 years via the private section of road in order to get to and from the farm/house which are the only things at the end of the farm track.

                To describe the route - a vehicle...
                08-04-2020, 22:09 PM
              • Access to new development via private road
                by rc1234

                I live on a street with 46 houses cul-de-sac. it is a private road - The land/road etc is owned by a the maintenance company made up pf residents, of which all of the households pay into for the upkeep and own 1/46th of the land each.

                The private track/road running behind...
                03-04-2020, 11:51 AM
              • Loft Adverse Possession or else?
                by johnlondon2
                Hello there!

                I hope you're doing good in these uncertain times.

                I bought a leasehold top floor flat three years ago that has easy access (ladder that comes down and a big hatch) and has been put good by the previous owner which installed some lights up there and boarded...
                08-04-2020, 16:55 PM
              • Reply to Loft Adverse Possession or else?
                by Lawcruncher
                You cannot be in adverse possession against your landlord. However, the loft may be included in your lease. Read this thread and come back with any questions:
                08-04-2020, 21:56 PM
              • Reply to Loft Adverse Possession or else?
                by ram
                The loft space is not yours to use.
                The lease tells you what you DO own or is your demise. it does not go through everything that is NOT yours.
                Your lease clearly states you are leasing the rooms in the flat, and are responsible for those rooms, up to the ceiling, and not beyond. It tells
                08-04-2020, 20:32 PM
              • Reply to Access to new development via private road
                by Lawcruncher
                There are several aspect to this.

                Before incurring any expense or trouble, you need to establish that the road is indeed private, and not a public highway not maintainable at public expense. From the limited information you have supplied it sounds private, but the devil can be in the detail....
                08-04-2020, 15:00 PM
              • Reply to Selling land to family
                by pilman
                As an afterthought to my previous posting, the land within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse, even if it is a listed building, has permitted development rights that allow hard surfaces to be created and a new means of access to a highway created.
                That would mean that certain work could be undertaken...
                08-04-2020, 11:13 AM
              • Selling land to family
                by Jane S
                Hello everyone,

                I have a question that's entered my mind recently and would like some advice to point me in the right direction, I hope someone may be able to help.

                I have a grade 2 listed cottage on around 0.4 acre, with an old barn thats about to fall down on the side. There...
                07-04-2020, 16:44 PM
              • Reply to Selling land to family
                by pilman
                If the whole area of land that you own is land associated with your main residence then selling off part of that land does not result in any capital gains tax liability because of Principal Private Residence relief (PPR).

                If you agree to sell it to your son without the benefit of planning...
                08-04-2020, 10:48 AM
              • Reply to Selling land to family
                by Tipper
                Just agree a price and instruct a solicitor.

                You may get involved with capital gains tax though and he may not get planning permission.
                07-04-2020, 18:21 PM