New gas pipe routed outside of flat in commual area - is that allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gas pipe routed outside of flat in commual area - is that allowed?

Hi, are gas pipes allowed to be routed outside of the owners flat in what would be the communal area. The purpose built flats were built in 1969/70 and owners are replacing their boilers.

A couple have had the gas pipe routed above their front door in the passage way, as it appears this was an easier option. Should they have got permission from the residents board?

As the pipe isn't in their flat do should the pipe be labelled or boxed in?

Would this alteration need to be reported to the insurance company who cover our buildings policy?

Just my opinion but this doesnt sound right at all.

There are obvious safety and boundary issues which are likely to concern the buildings management.
    Its also extremely unlikely that if due process was followed that these works would have been approved.

Most alarming is the possibility that these installations could affect the integrity of the buildings insurance so if any disaster occurred there could be no payouts.

I recommend you formally correspond with the buildings management about this asap, pointing out that it is an urgent matter that they have now been informed of and that they have an urgent responsibility to look into the matter.
    It may also be sensible to garner some support from other flat owners if possible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dispute over boundary land
      by cazamoran
      This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
      Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
      09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
    • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
      by Always Problems
      I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
      09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
    • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
      by AKRS
      Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
      29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
    • Planning permission
      by dizzymill
      I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
      07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
    • Reply to Planning permission
      by Always Problems
      In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
      09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
      by pilman
      The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
      08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
      by dizzymill
      Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
      08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
      by Tipper
      It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
      Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
      08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
    • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
      by Tipper
      No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
      06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
    • Building Regulations Certificate
      by kennyj52
      Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
      I currently rent out 2 properties and own
      01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
    Working...
    X