Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change of use

Hi all
    I currently own two garages which I am using for storage however the LA are keen to re-develop the area and have suggested that we apply for change of use to residential.Although this would be beneficial in the long term at the moment storage is more important.If we go along this root and apply for full planning whilst they are keen will we then be unable to use it for its former use once permission has been granted?

Presumably it would not be for a change of use but for redevelopment....

Once the PP is in place you can keep the current use going until it is implemented... If not implemented the PP would after 3 years expire.. As long as the PP is not undertaken in any way it makes no difference whatsoever to the current use...

PETER

Comment

Hi Peter
      Thanks for the reply.The garages in question are a two-storey stable block in a conservation area and therefore are to be converted,thus the need for change of use.The problem we have is that the roof is in a poor condition and in imminant need of repair.
      Are you saying that if we get the PP with change of use, by implementing any of the changes stated on the plans e.g: new roof with sky lights we would then no longer be able to use it for its former use?
      When would liability for council tax commence?

Comment

Council tax will not apply until a certificate of completion/habitation is issued by the council ( so no worries there )

As for the use, Don't worry about it, go for the planning first ( you will then increase the value of the property/land. You will have 3 years in order to sort out other storage before either completing the works, selling the plot or re-applying for PP for another 3 years.

Your in a win/win situation. Good Luck.

Comment

Yes, once PP is implemented you loose the former use.... in fact the Council may have loss of residential policies preventing a move back.. check the development plan on council's web site...

I am not an expert in council tax... but I expect it would start once the dwelling is ocuppied...

PETER
          Last edited by pdk; 24-04-2007, 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thank you both for your replies

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X