Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting Freehold of detached house

Hi

I'm looking to purchase a detached house which is currently arranged as a semi and 2 flats, but is still one freehold title. The three properties are recognised by Land Registry and the local council. What is the process for officially splitting these?

What do you wish to split them into?

Comment

Sorry, should have made that a little clearer! Plan would be to separate the semi from the flats, so the semi as one freehold and the two flats as the other.

Comment

As long as there is a clear vertical division and the existing tilte has no restrictions or charges, you can, its a few forms, but if you plan to sell the flats you will have to create leases for those. Unless you are doing your own conveyancing your solicitor can do the paperwork, and advise you on any tax liability. This will be important if you are planning to borrow to purchase the property.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain what you mean when you say "This will be important if you are planning to borrow to purchase the property."

Comment

Are you borrowing to do buy? If so then it is important on what you are borrowing on, freehold and/or freeholds subject to leases, and of course the availability of funding. Mortgages for a house split into two flats which are not leasehold are a different form of mortgage and harder to obtain. There may also be tax advantages.

Very often a solicitor is printed with “ I am buying X” and does as the client asks assuming that they have worked out all the angles.. This is especially true in cut price services.

In such a situation above it is important to say I am buying x and plan to do……” that can mean, as above, a very different approach.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney pot gas compliance
              by Perfectgame
              Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
              23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by AndrewDod
              Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
              If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
              23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
              by JK0
              I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
              23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
              by Interlaken
              What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
              23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
            • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Clulass
              I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
              14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
            • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Interlaken
              CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
              23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
            • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88
              Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
              14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
            • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by leaseholder64
              I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
              18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
            • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88
              Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
              Simon
              18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
            • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
              by MAPTON
              Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
              10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
            Working...
            X