Agricultural clause on property... Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agricultural clause on property... Any advice?

Just looking for opinions on this situation.

My parents(in their 60’s) had their home built in 1974 in a rural area, and ran their own garden centre (greenhouses etc) on the land until last year when my dad retired.

The house/land was built with an agricultural clause attached to it. They were unable to get a mortgage at the time due to the clause, but were able to get a bank loan and they have now paid this off so the house/land is their own.

They are now looking into what would happen if they wanted to sell.

They have been told by someone that works for their local council that because of the agricultural clause, they would first have to offer the property/land to the agricultural/farming community.

And they would have to offer it at 2/3 of the value (i.e. knock a third off!)

At the moment, due to circumstances, my brother (their son) is living with them, and the council have also told them that if my parents died, then my brother would not be able to live in the property (even though it would be half his!)… all because of this clause.

The council says there is no way to remove the clause either…

My parents didn't know any of this when they had the property built.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of this sort of thing?

Has the house been used by non agri tenants at all and if so for how long??

PETER

Comment

Is this clause in:
      a. the title deeds/HMLR registers; or
      b. the Planning Permission?

In case "a", the party whose land has the benefit of the covenant could agree to release it (perhaps on receiving £££).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I have valued private garden centres, smallholdings etc which have owners accommodation within the grounds with ties for lending purposes.

Most local authorities are reluctant to release the covenant, mainly in fear that the ground then becomes brownfield and open to potential development.

If your parents want to move then the tie will limit any future occupier to someone who is indeed in farming/rural/forestry employment. The value with the tie will be market value less at least 30% depending on the location and whether there is likely to be any demand.

Would it not be worth trying to dispose of the property as an operational garden centre or at least a 'garden centre site' with living accommodation? You may get someone who wants a garden centre or similar commercial use.

Comment

No, my parents have lived there ever since it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by mountie View Post
            Would it not be worth trying to dispose of the property as an operational garden centre or at least a 'garden centre site' with living accommodation? You may get someone who wants a garden centre or similar commercial use.
            I don't think this would be possible, as the greenhouses etc, are in a rather poor state now, and I'm doubtful someone would want to take the 'garden centre' on as it stands..

Comment

If the house has been used outside the agri condition for 10 years then you may be free of it!! It needs a bit more reseacch...

PETER

Comment

Originally posted by chrissyw28 View Post
                I don't think this would be possible, as the greenhouses etc, are in a rather poor state now, and I'm doubtful someone would want to take the 'garden centre' on as it stands..
                You need to get some proper advice perhaps from leisure and rural agents.

Although i think it is probable that it will not be marketable at full market value due to the agri clause.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning help
                  by bubble
                  Hi all

I just want to get some help on some planning issues. An architect mentioned that planning wasn’t required for an outbuilding and would come under permitted development. I had some friend of friend builders who helped with the build and lets say took it upon themselves to add water/toilet...
                  18-11-2019, 22:23 PM
                • Reply to Planning help
                  by leaseholder64
                  I'd certainly expect this to sound the "beds in sheds rogue landlord" alarm with the council.

Do you live in the main property? If so, why did you not notice the water supply being laid?

If not, the beds in sheds alarm probably just increased in volume.
                  19-11-2019, 15:19 PM
                • Reply to Planning help
                  by ram
                  1. What was the neighbours complaint ?
                  2. Was it that you just had an outbuilding ?
                  3. Was it that it was a few millimetres over size ?
                  4. Was it that you had put a residential building up that was clearly residential, as it had water/toilet facilities AND a bathroom.
                  Certainly not an outbuilding if it...
                  19-11-2019, 12:36 PM
                • Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
                  by LondonResident
                  I’m a first time poster on the site and couldn’t see anything that relates specifically to this topic, although various forums around the subject.

I would like to do a loft conversion on our flat and the co-freehold owner has refused consent so we want to see if there is anything we...
                  04-11-2018, 10:26 AM
                • Reply to Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
                  by ram
                  LondonResident has not logged on exactly a year ago tomorrow, so don't expect a reply.

Any new questions on lofts should start a new thread, as not all leases and circumstances are the same.
                  14-11-2019, 19:05 PM
                • Reply to Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
                  by kennyj52
                  Did your co-freeholder give you any grounds for refusing consent? I am also a co-freeholder and have refused consent for a loft conversion which was requested by my other co-freeholders. My main ground for refusing is that I don't trust one of the co-freeholders - is that unreasonable?
                  10-11-2019, 18:33 PM
                • Splitting detached house into 2 residencies
                  by keentobuild
                  Hi all,

My father-in-law is currently considering splitting his house into 2 flats, either to rent one to help with income during retirement or sell to release capital from his property.

He is sadly suffering with Alzheimer's disease and doesn't really know the implications...
                  19-10-2019, 18:04 PM
                • Reply to Splitting detached house into 2 residencies
                  by keentobuild
                  Thanks,

I know its a lousy plan, I was just hoping I could have some knowledge behind me in helping inform him that it is exactly that.

Thanks for the info on planning time frames, this should steady him down.
                  31-10-2019, 10:57 AM
                • Laying services over unowned road
                  by Charles Smith 007
                  I have a planning permission to build some houses. The lower section of the road that they are on has no registered owners and our checks against the title deeds for the properties it goes past, the council land ownership and historic manorial ownerships have confirmed no record of ownership. The solicitor...
                  18-09-2019, 19:52 PM
                • Reply to Laying services over unowned road
                  by pilman
                  The rebuttable legal presumption " ad medium filum viae" is that an owner with land adjoining a road owns up to the mid point of the road unless it is a public highway maintainable at the public expense when the Highway Authority will own the surface and a short distance below the surface....
                  29-10-2019, 15:27 PM
                Working...
                X