Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy Builders

I hope I've posted in the right place.

I engaged a local building company to divide one bedroom into two. The work involved putting in a tilt and turn window and replacing a window with a T&T. The work was due to be completed on 2/10/13. After many assurances that the work would be complete it wasn't, so I told them I would have to get somebody else in to do it as they obviously couldn't. This was on 1/11/13.

They are not members of Trustmark or FENSA. Do I need to go down any particular route with my complaint?

Are there any guidelines?

Are there any other trade bodies like Trustmark that could belong to?

They say all their work is insured. I'm going to ask for a guarantee for the work they have done (electrics and the stud wall) . If they wont give me a cert of guarantee can I claim against them for it?

I've already paid them in full to do the job. What a fool I was. They said they'd complete all the work the next day but never did.

What's the quickest way to resolve these issues?

Sorry to hear it. If they are not members of a professional body then I can't see who you can complain to. Do they intend to come back and finish it off - at some point?

I know it's a sore one but NEVER pay a builder in full, always use stage payments through the job. If they say they need the money in advance to buy materials then open your own trade account and buy them yourself.

Comment

Thanks for your speedy reply QFF. They kept promising to come back but never did and they didn't even phone me to let me know, so I was left waiting for them. This happened on at least 5 occasions. They had a key to the property so could have let themselves in at any time.

As it turns out they hadn't even booked the tradesmen!

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
        They kept promising to come back but never did!
        Why would they bother to come back? You've already paid them in full, they've got nothing to lose.

Comment

That is true Mrs Mug. I am now trying to resolve the situation and am preparing a MCOL. I just want to be sure about any alternative resolution routes that I might be able to try, or have to try, first.

For example if they were a member of Trustmark, there is a procedure to go down. As it happens they are on the Fakes and Forgeries list for saying they have Trust mark accreditation when they don't.

Comment

Speak to your local Council, they may be able to do something from a trading standards angle.

In the meantime make sure you let your friends and family know how dodgy they are. Word of mouth spreads very quickly.

Good luck!

Comment

Update: went into the shop this morning to ask for guarantee for the bit of work they did. Owner said he didn't like my reviews and would complete the work tomorrow. Hmmmmmmm.

Comment

Of course they never turned up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Development permission over shared access
                  by Davidwd
                  I have an unusual situation, I live in a property in a private cut de sac of 5 properties. Property No.1 owns the substrate of the driveway and the other 4 properties own the surface and have right of way over the driveway. Property No.1 wants to build another house on their land and use the driveway...
                  29-03-2020, 16:56 PM
                • Reply to Development permission over shared access
                  by royw
                  If they have right of access over the road then yes they can, a house built in the garden also has that right.
                  29-03-2020, 21:35 PM
                • Reply to Development permission over shared access
                  by pilman
                  Depends if the property at No.1 has a right of way granted over the private road.

It would imply that No.1 owned the road but transferred the surface to the other four owners who have responsibility for the maintenance of the surface.

Any decent solicitor would have included...
                  29-03-2020, 17:41 PM
                • Chimney pot gas compliance
                  by Perfectgame
                  Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
                  23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
                • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
                  by AndrewDod
                  Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
                  If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
                  23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
                  by JK0
                  I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
                  23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
                  by Interlaken
                  What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
                  23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
                • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
                  by Interlaken
                  CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
                  23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
                • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
                  by Clulass
                  I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
                  14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
                • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
                  by slix_88
                  Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
                  14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
                Working...
                X