X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
    Yes it would - sound proofing is time consuming and costly in my opinion and differing councils have different criteria.
    The criteria are clearly laid out in the Building Regulations so all councils, well England and Wales, should be working to the same criteria.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    Yes it would - sound proofing is time consuming and costly in my opinion and differing councils have different criteria.

Leave a comment:

• eande2
    replied
    Follow up question:
    If I converted the above property back into 2 properties (in effect separating back to the original two terraced properties), keeping one property for business and selling the other as a residential house, am I right to assume that is would require planning and building regs (sound proofing etc)?

Leave a comment:

• eande2
    replied
    Thanks for yours reply.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    1. and 3. - No

2. You mght need building regs approval but I doubt planning consent.

Leave a comment:

• eande2
    started a topic Mixed use property development.

Mixed use property development.

Hello,

Apologies for long first post.
    I am thinking about buying a mixed use property.
    The property was once two terraced houses that have been used as one unit for the past 30 years.
    There is a retail unit downstairs (which I would use for my business), an adjoining office space (unused, has separate entrance). The rest of the property is used a residence by the current owner (lounge and kitchen downstairs to the back of the retail unit, exiting to a small yard and three bedrooms and bathroom upstairs).
    The residential element of the property can be accessed via its own separate entrance, or through a door from the retail unit. The residential and business elements are billed separately for council tax and business rates.

My plan would be to use the retail space myself and let out the remaining residential part.
    Queries:
    1. If I simply blocked up the existing internal access between the retail and residential parts would this require planning and building consent before letting?
    2. If I made the downstairs fully commercial, and moved the kitchen upstairs I think I would need building approval but what about planning?
    3. If I would let out the residential part, would I need to alter eg ceilings to make fire resistant?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X