Mixed use property development.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Mixed use property development.


    Apologies for long first post.
    I am thinking about buying a mixed use property.
    The property was once two terraced houses that have been used as one unit for the past 30 years.
    There is a retail unit downstairs (which I would use for my business), an adjoining office space (unused, has separate entrance). The rest of the property is used a residence by the current owner (lounge and kitchen downstairs to the back of the retail unit, exiting to a small yard and three bedrooms and bathroom upstairs).
    The residential element of the property can be accessed via its own separate entrance, or through a door from the retail unit. The residential and business elements are billed separately for council tax and business rates.

    My plan would be to use the retail space myself and let out the remaining residential part.
    1. If I simply blocked up the existing internal access between the retail and residential parts would this require planning and building consent before letting?
    2. If I made the downstairs fully commercial, and moved the kitchen upstairs I think I would need building approval but what about planning?
    3. If I would let out the residential part, would I need to alter eg ceilings to make fire resistant?

    1. and 3. - No

    2. You mght need building regs approval but I doubt planning consent.

    Freedom at the point of zero............


      Thanks for yours reply.


        Follow up question:
        If I converted the above property back into 2 properties (in effect separating back to the original two terraced properties), keeping one property for business and selling the other as a residential house, am I right to assume that is would require planning and building regs (sound proofing etc)?


          Yes it would - sound proofing is time consuming and costly in my opinion and differing councils have different criteria.

          Freedom at the point of zero............


            Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
            Yes it would - sound proofing is time consuming and costly in my opinion and differing councils have different criteria.
            The criteria are clearly laid out in the Building Regulations so all councils, well England and Wales, should be working to the same criteria.


            Latest Activity


            • Chimney pot gas compliance
              by Perfectgame
              Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
              23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by AndrewDod
              Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
              If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

              In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
              23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by JK0
              I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
              23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by Interlaken
              What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
              23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
            • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Clulass
              I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

              So to my question:

              Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
              14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
            • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Interlaken
              CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
              23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
            • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88
              Hi all

              First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
              14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
            • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by leaseholder64
              I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

              If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
              18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
            • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88

              Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

              18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
            • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
              by MAPTON
              Not sure which section I should post this question!

              A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
              10-03-2020, 15:53 PM