X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed use property development.

Hello,

Apologies for long first post.
    I am thinking about buying a mixed use property.
    The property was once two terraced houses that have been used as one unit for the past 30 years.
    There is a retail unit downstairs (which I would use for my business), an adjoining office space (unused, has separate entrance). The rest of the property is used a residence by the current owner (lounge and kitchen downstairs to the back of the retail unit, exiting to a small yard and three bedrooms and bathroom upstairs).
    The residential element of the property can be accessed via its own separate entrance, or through a door from the retail unit. The residential and business elements are billed separately for council tax and business rates.

My plan would be to use the retail space myself and let out the remaining residential part.
    Queries:
    1. If I simply blocked up the existing internal access between the retail and residential parts would this require planning and building consent before letting?
    2. If I made the downstairs fully commercial, and moved the kitchen upstairs I think I would need building approval but what about planning?
    3. If I would let out the residential part, would I need to alter eg ceilings to make fire resistant?

1. and 3. - No

2. You mght need building regs approval but I doubt planning consent.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks for yours reply.

Comment

Follow up question:
        If I converted the above property back into 2 properties (in effect separating back to the original two terraced properties), keeping one property for business and selling the other as a residential house, am I right to assume that is would require planning and building regs (sound proofing etc)?

Comment

Yes it would - sound proofing is time consuming and costly in my opinion and differing councils have different criteria.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
            Yes it would - sound proofing is time consuming and costly in my opinion and differing councils have different criteria.
            The criteria are clearly laid out in the Building Regulations so all councils, well England and Wales, should be working to the same criteria.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Picket fence
              by toulon
              I want to turf my lawn, plant shrubs and erect a 500 mm high wooden picket fence.
              I have been shielding due to health issues and tenants who rent in adjacent properties let their dogs foul on my lawn.
              I want to use the garden safely, its part of my leasehold and deed. The lease says...
              22-01-2021, 14:34 PM
            • Reply to Picket fence
              by theartfullodger
              Front or back lawn? Or both?

Councils may have guidance on height of fences in different areas...
              22-01-2021, 15:12 PM
            • Reply to Picket fence
              by Jon66
              Why not ask the freeholders permission? That would seem the most pragmatic solution....
              22-01-2021, 14:42 PM
            • Add a porch
              by Arvid Li
              I want to add a porch to external door of my house
              Do I need to request for inspection the Porch (the Porch is under exempt from building regulation approval) by Building Control Surveyor?
              If yes, could you advice me the procedure of request for inspection, Many Thanks
              12-01-2021, 08:34 AM
            • Reply to Add a porch
              by Echoes
              Does this apply to conservatory or orangery at the back of the house as well? Do we need some kind of permission or certificate before/after the development if its not affecting any of your neighbours? Thanks
              21-01-2021, 18:13 PM
            • Reply to Excessive garage height
              by Interlaken
              Take photos and write to the Chief Planning Officer giving full details and say why you are unsatisfied at the lack of consultation and the outcome. If you don't get satisfaction write to the Planning Inspectorate - find out where yours is. If you win your case the council have to pay to have the...
              21-01-2021, 17:25 PM
            • Excessive garage height
              by Neil2011
              Dear All,

The end of my garden backs onto a private access lane. At the bottom of a majority of gardens there are garages that back onto the lane the garages are between 3-3.5 meters in height. This is mirrored on the opposite side of the lane.

The house opposite mine...
              21-01-2021, 08:35 AM
              by Neil2011
              Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies. After talking to the planning office it appears that three neighbours did receive notice via post back in 2019. They did not think it necessary to check the height mentioned in the plans .I find it strange that I did not even though I am obviously...
              21-01-2021, 12:09 PM
              by Interlaken
              I think that is disgraceful. I help run a community forum that polices planning app notices stringently...amongst other things....
              21-01-2021, 11:27 AM
            • Reply to Neighbour wants to use my planned extension to build double story extension.
              by Lawcruncher
              Your lease includes the garden. Unless the lease provides otherwise, this will include all the airspace over the ground. Accordingly, you have complete control over the airspace which will be above the proposed extension.
              21-01-2021, 10:08 AM
            Working...
            X