BT pole in garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT pole in garden

About 5 years ago we bought part of our neighbour's garden from him. It contains a telegraph pole belonging to BT. It's an eyesore. How would we go about requesting that it be removed and the wires re-routed underground? We live in a village in a National Park and planning regulation is very strict.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

The first thing to do would be to check the land registry title of the land to see what rights BT have. There will often be a reference to it or there will be a separate document which granted BT the right to put and keep the telegraph pole on the land. If there is a document, it may possibly contain a right for you to terminate the agreement.

Otherwise the only way they will likely be prepared to do this would be if you pay for it and that will probably be very expensive.

Comment

I agree with jdmf. BT seem to have rights way and beyond those normally found at the Land Registry - I'm sure they will tell you this with great fervour. Rights they received as a nationalised company seem to have given them carte blanche to carry on as they please.

In 2007 I wanted to re-route a BT line that went over my bungalow to another property as it was about to become a house. It took BT 4 months, a lot of persuasion and £££'s to move the line - in the end we were building around it with constant threats from BT if damage was done.

I can't imagine what removing a pole would take. The electricity board wanted £2000 in 2008 to move a pole to the left of my drive. My neighbour finds the pole offensive.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Telecommunications companies have what effectively amount to compulsory powers. Even if you have an agreement providing for termination or an agreement which comes to an end, they can renew it. Asking nicely and negotiating is the only way forward.

Comment

Many thanks for all your thoughts.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X