Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planning permission for change of window in a flat

Hi there,

The purchase of my last flat fell through (thank you to everyone that gave advice) two days before exchange the vendor changed his mind and sold the flat privately!

Anyway so we have put an offer down on another flat which we like but the windows are quite high off the floor and quite small and we wanted to either change them for larger windows or ideally put in a balcony or juliet balcony just to let in more light. It is on the second floor (above an office) and on the outside everyone else has the standard windows so I doubt I would be allowed, but I thought maybe it is allowed and no one has tried before (long shot I know). Here is a picture of the outside of the property
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...o/exterior.jpg

Its the only thing that lets the flat down from the inside is the size and position of the windows. Just wondered if someone had some insight or experience doing such a change. I will approach the local council planning dept but thought maybe someone has some knowledge so I am better prepared before approaching them.

Many thanks

Sandy

Leasehold property needs more than just pp, it' not your building to change! You'll need the freeholder's permission and they may not be keen or give permission. Could cost more than a simple window change.

I'd talk to the freeholder first.

Comment

Ah I see, thank you very much for your feedback. I will do that first.

S

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Potential 2 bed flat from a 2 garage conversion
        by Alannotts
        I have purchased over a period of time a detached dwelling purpose built 2 x 2 bed masonette with ground floor garages. The garages combined have the same foot fall as each masonette, I was thinking about converting the garages into a 2 bed masonette similar to the ones above the garage total sides...
        27-11-2020, 20:53 PM
      • Reply to Potential 2 bed flat from a 2 garage conversion
        by Section20z
        There's no reason you can't have a single entrance door to four maisonettes, if that's the question., except they would then be called flats....
        27-11-2020, 23:00 PM
      • Reply to Planning for house to flat conversion
        by pilman
        That cannot be taken into account for an application for a Lawful Use Certificate.
        The evidence of 4 years use as two separate dwellings is all that is needed, because it is not a planning application and does not need to comply with an planning requirements, as mentioned in posting #7....
        26-11-2020, 14:50 PM
      • Planning for house to flat conversion
        by Hold1234
        I am interested in a property which has two flats with separate tenants already in place. The property is being sold by the family of the previous Landlord who has sadly passed. I have however been advised that there was never any planning permission to convert this property form a house to two seperate...
        23-11-2020, 15:45 PM
        by Aboosimbel
        Dear Hold 1234,
        In general you need to prove that the place was converted and in continuous use as such for at least 4 years to get retrospective planning and 10 years for building control. The main pieces of evidence are four years continuous and separate council tax, water, gas and electricity...
        25-11-2020, 18:42 PM
      • Reply to Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
        by andybenw
        Not answering your question, but just to say I have 2 Asgard sheds and also advised purchase of one for a local sports club. They are great sheds. They go together easily, they are very secure, and they can be taken down, moved and rebuilt in an hour (at least the cycle sheds can).

So...
        25-11-2020, 18:42 PM
      • Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
        by Gusrus
        I own and live in a leasehold flat. I’m looking at getting a new motorbike and although I can use bike covers and stuff but I would like something more substantial to protect it. Between the building my flat is a part of and the building next door is a section of land which is gated off at one end...
        25-11-2020, 08:38 AM
        by pilman
        After 4 years the change of use from a house to two flats became immune from enforcement by the local planning authority so that the current use is lawful.

An application for a Lawful Use Certificate will require a planning application although this is not a matter of gaining planning permission,...
        25-11-2020, 18:39 PM
      • Reply to Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
        by pilman
        When you contact the freeholder ask if you can have a license to use the land and locate a small bike storage shed on it, That may be something that can be settled quite quickly if you agree to pays a small sum of money for a licence.
        Asking that this land be added to an existing Lease agreement...
        25-11-2020, 18:30 PM
      • Reply to Build rear extension to adjoining neighbours extension
        by pilman
        Only if there is a prior agreement to link that back wall into the existing brickwork that belongs to each of the neighbours.

You may be able to persuade the neighbours to allow that to happen since their external wall will become an internal wall kept free of weather and will not need...
        25-11-2020, 18:19 PM
      Working...
      X