building regulations

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    building regulations

    what are the the implications if you do not follow building regs approval when converting 3 no. Existing flats into 5 studios. I.e. comply with part b fire, but not part e sound & part l, energy.

    You won't get a completion certificate, and won't be able to sell them.


      Basically you have broken the Law!


        Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        You won't get a completion certificate, and won't be able to sell them.
        You won't get a completion certificate but it would be possible to sell them. However any half decent solicitor will pick up on the fact they have been converted without buildings regulation consent and nobody needing a mortgage will be able to buy them so you will be restricted to cash buyers, buying against the advice of their solicitor. That means they will only pay you way less than the normal price for the flat so it would be wise to convert them with building regulation consent and get full market price.

        There is no time limit for enforcement of non compliance with the building regulations by way of injunction. You will also need planning permission to convert to 5 studios.


          No insurance cover, difficulties in selling, possible criminal prosecution.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

          If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

          Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


            Thanks everyone, I'll make a good job of it.just frightened to death of spending thousands on acoustics and failing the sound tests!


            Latest Activity


            • Development permission over shared access
              by Davidwd
              I have an unusual situation, I live in a property in a private cut de sac of 5 properties. Property No.1 owns the substrate of the driveway and the other 4 properties own the surface and have right of way over the driveway. Property No.1 wants to build another house on their land and use the driveway...
              29-03-2020, 16:56 PM
            • Reply to Development permission over shared access
              by royw
              If they have right of access over the road then yes they can, a house built in the garden also has that right.
              29-03-2020, 21:35 PM
            • Reply to Development permission over shared access
              by pilman
              Depends if the property at No.1 has a right of way granted over the private road.

              It would imply that No.1 owned the road but transferred the surface to the other four owners who have responsibility for the maintenance of the surface.

              Any decent solicitor would have included...
              29-03-2020, 17:41 PM
            • Chimney pot gas compliance
              by Perfectgame
              Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
              23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by AndrewDod
              Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
              If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

              In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
              23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by JK0
              I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
              23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
            • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
              by Interlaken
              What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
              23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
            • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Clulass
              I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

              So to my question:

              Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
              14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
            • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
              by Interlaken
              CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
              23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
            • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
              by slix_88
              Hi all

              First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
              14-03-2020, 14:46 PM