Enforcement notice never complied with - can breaches become lawful over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enforcement notice never complied with - can breaches become lawful over time?

I'm looking at purchasing a resi property at auction. Various extensions were built without planning/PD and enforcement notices were served, appealed against and mostly upheld. A period of six months was given for the property to be returned to as was. This was in 2009 and to date no action has been taken to remedy the breaches. Is there a point at which the unlawful developments subject to the enforcement notice can no longer be enforced. If so, would this run from the enforcement notice date, the appeal decision date, the deadline by which breaches should have been remedied; or none of these?
    Assume I know nothing.

Court action can be started against the owner immediately the sale is completed if the council decide to enforce the law.

The enforcement may be extinguished after 12 years if the Limitation Act 1980 applies to that type of occurence, but that is just a wild guess.

I do know someone who appealed an enforcement notice lost the appeal but did not take down the offending structures. He was subsequently fined £5000 in court.

The fact that he had let out the unlawful buildings and had earned around £24K was not taken into account, so he willingly paid the £5k fine and thought nothing of the fact that he may be summonded again and again unless the buildings are taken dowen and the unlawful use stopped.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X