tree planning permission

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tree planning permission

    Do we need planning permission to cut a tree down?

  • #2
    Depends on whether there are any TPO's covering it or not.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


    • #3
      Originally posted by Evergreen View Post
      Do we need planning permission to cut a tree down?
      If there's a Tree Preservation Order on it, you need to apply for a variety of planning permission.

      It is free, but you will need an Arboricultural Report to convince them.

      Unless it is dead, decaying or dangerous. If the last, you may be able to summarily fell it, but if you are wrong you may end up with a criminal conviction.

      They may require you to plant a replacement a few feet away.

      Find out whether it has a TPO on it - go in to the office and ask for a map of TPOs around a different local house, ask for an extent of map which will include your house, and see if your tree is on it.

      Then decide whether you want to approach the Tree Officer; they are very varied from obsessive treehuggers to normal tree officers to practical old gits, but the Tree has a distinct habit of getting priority over anything you want to do to it. Public amenity provided by private citizens is very cheap for the Council.

      They have funny things that trigger them look at an area (a Planning App is one), so asking the wrong question may get you 6 more TPOs. So if you think other trees are at risk of TPOs, get any work done *before* you talk to a Tree Officer too openly.

      Round our way the only TPOs are all of the trees in the garden of a developed old house, 'cos they applied for PP. Equally good trees the other side of the walls have no TPOs.

      You need to take the "cunning and a serpent and innocent as a dove" approach with TPOs, and look well ahead.

      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.


      • #4
        If in a Conservation Area you will need P.Permission to not only fell a tree but to carry out any works to a tree such as pruning for example.


        • #5
          Now is the time to apply - In my local authority planning application list for last week 15 out the 21 applications were for tree work or some sort. Some removals, some pruning and topping out.

          Freedom at the point of zero............


          Latest Activity


          • Any recommended books/articles/videos for learning Property Development/Investing?
            Hi guys,

            I'm totally new to property investing. I was wondering if any of you could share your recommended materials with me on this topic, perhaps materials that you used to get you started? I want to learn all the legal side to property investing, as well as the best strategies to go...
            29-07-2017, 10:13 AM
          • Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
            Hi All,

            I have a question. I think I have some sneaky neighbours and would like to hear from you on experience and knowledge if you can.

            Neighbours at back started works to an extension (the properties are grade 2 listed). I went and spoke to them as it is not clear where...
            18-07-2017, 06:54 AM
          • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
            The Party Wall Act doesn't deal with Boundary disputes. If you don't know where the boundary is then this needs to be ressolved separately. A Line of Junction Notice can only be valid if there is a defined Line of Junction.

            If they wish to appoint a lawyer to deal with matters there side...
            28-07-2017, 13:42 PM
          • planning appeal
            hi all,

            I would like some advice.
            I put in a planning application on my bungalow to create side dormers. Due to the back having two rooms the rear windows are in the far corners of each room. This wasn't too much of a problem as the sides had fixed, obscure windows. However, due to...
            26-07-2017, 19:43 PM
          • Property Development Mentor/training.
            Dear All,

            Just wondering if anyone can recommend any property development training/mentorship please? I know there are a few out there who have popped up there in last some years with "many years of development experience" whereas what they do in reality is just training - not...
            23-07-2017, 16:51 PM
          • Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
            Under Part 3 of the GPDO - Change of Use

            Class M allows for

            (a) a change of use of a building from—

            iii) a mixed use combining use as a dwellinghouse with—

            (aa) a use as a betting office or pay day loan shop, or

            (bb) a use falling...
            21-07-2017, 16:57 PM
          • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
            As you are creating additional dwellings I would suspect full planning permission is required.
            23-07-2017, 10:24 AM
          • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
            Since this Class of development requires prior approval it seems logical to seek approval for what you are proposing.
            The LPA will either accept that this falls within Class M or not.
            21-07-2017, 19:33 PM
          • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
            Thank you Al,

            I contacted the recommended surveyor, but he is too far away. Thanks though. I've appointed another, I'm worried about the costs as he said it can cost in the region of £1000-2000. I have to appoint my own as their's has done a runner and the neighbours haven't identified...
            19-07-2017, 22:12 PM
          • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
            bizarrely if properly appointed a party wall surveyor cant just walk away. He is stuck with the job once appointed. I have no connection with him but I would suggest you got help from someone who knows the law backwards. The best party wall surveyor I know is Harold Coyne FRICS of Coyne and Co who goes...
            19-07-2017, 03:17 AM