Do I need completion certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need completion certificate?

We have spent eleven and a half months and tens of thousands of pounds converting our 3 storey Victorian house (we have lived in it for 6 years) into 3 self contained flats. We already have a tenant lined up for one flat and we will continue to live in another of the flats. Today the inspector from building control came round to check it was finished but he found loads of things which he said didn't meet regulations despite us getting everything checked and double checked with bith council and architect all the way through. Consequently he can't issue a completion certificate. As we have always lived here I can't see why I can't carry on living here without the certificate but can I rent out one of the flats without it? The things he said were stupid, for example an existing bathroom has a fullly opening window but he said we needed an extractor fan. I explained that it had a window and was an existing bathroom. He also said i needed self closing fire doors on every door on all three floors! This is ridiculous as we have a cat and can't possibly live like that. The architect had said we didn't need every doo to be done that way and I have seem many new apartments where the internal doors aren't all on self closures.

My tenants are due to move in in just 2 days time. Are we renting ilegally? can anyone help with this as I am very worried

Ge the architect to negotiate each point .... is not that his job???

PETER

Comment

How much did converting the property cost you?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X